Bidons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
I was buying a bidon today and I was surprised at how few have a cover. As a cyclist who seems to ride in diluted cow-pooh a lot of the time, the idea of a bidon without a cover seems very odd.

Citius

Bidon is a french word, but according to your location, you are in Macclesfield. How does that work?

Cyclist33

i dont have a problem with just saying water bottle. i mean calling it a bidon is a blatant attempt to sound like a tour de france rider, in which case, have you got any spare performance enhancing chemicals?

Citius

Bidon is in the OED and is used regularly in the English language whatever the origin. Why the question?

It's a French word, regardless of its inclusion in the OED or not. Not sure about its 'regular' usage though - the only times I ever see it being used is on cycling forums.

potsy

Rambler
I have heard it used it used outside cycling in English to refer to a water bottle.
Maybe in leafy Wilmslow, doesn't get said much around here :tongue:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It might be a South Cheshire thing, here in Crewe, we're known to say bidon too, as a more economic way of saying "cycling specific water-bottle". I'm glad it's considered posh, anyway. About time I classed up a bit.

None of my cycling specific waterbottles have covers, but then I have mudguards, with limits the spray the receive a bit. On wet days, I also tend to squirt a bit of water out of the bottle (hopefully to wash any grit &c from the nozzle) before drinking.

Top Bottom