Big Fire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The BBC say there is no evidence of any link to terrorism.

WHY do they even need to state this ?

Who in their right mind would link a fire in a derelict warehouse, due to be demolished in a few months to make way for the site for the Olympics, to be held in 5 years time, to terrorism ?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
F. Chickens Warehouse burns down
Vegetable warehouse burns down
A London Warehouse burns down

Suddenly seems to be a lot of warehouses burning down...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fab Foodie said:
F. Chickens Warehouse burns down
Vegetable warehouse burns down

Sounds like a recipe for a nice big roast dinner...

Asbestos roof? Isn't that suppposed to be fire retardent?

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
Asbestos roof? Isn't that suppposed to be fire retardent?

Yeah, so what's your point? It wouldn't stop the diesel inside the warehouse from burning would it?

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Yeah, so what's your point? It wouldn't stop the diesel inside the warehouse from burning would it?

It was sort of meant to be funny...

Failed again....

Many years ago, in my early teens, I helped my Dad demolish his old wood-with-asbestos-roof garage before erecting a new concrete one.

I got the job of burning the old one (probably volunteered for it - a teenager and a bonfire..:blush:)

It started to rain and the fire wasn't doing too well, so I hit on the bright idea of propping a couple of sheets of the asbestos roof over it, which would keep the rain off.

Good idea, the fire then built up to a satisfying keep-at-a-distance blaze, except that when the asbestos sheets got hot they started to explode. I guess pockets of dampness inside the asbestos boiled to steam, which meant that fist-sized bits of asbestos were shooting-out in all directions.

I hadn't been that fussed about the sheets, after all they'd been on the roof of the garage for years, but surely this would be releasing loose asbestos fibres into the air...

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Asbestos doesn't burn in the true sense of the word, but it will 'glow', like the embers in a fire and disintegrate into ash. Also as andy wrx says, if its full of moisture... Boom, great when you are a (uninformed) yoof !!

Top Bottom