Big G Cyclosportive 2012 - Saturday 21st July 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
Paul Kilvington has emailed to confirm the date of the Big G this year and will announce when the website is open for taking secure online bookings.

I'll get started on losing a few pounds now - them hills were a real challenge for me last year!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Booking now open:

http://htrc.co.uk/sportive/

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Just looked at the 160km route, but think i'll stick to the 100 ^_^ I'm booking on, but wont know for sure if I've got day off work until the Wednesday before :sad: I think I need to lose a stone or two to get up all the hills :blush:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
I just wish they'd put Numburnholme at the beginning - get it out of the way ... :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll get started on losing a few pounds now - them hills were a real challenge for me last year!!! :thumbsup:
Did you change your mind and decide that you fancied an even bigger challenge this year? :whistle:^_^

It looks a nice route but I think the logistics and cost of me doing it make it unlikely that I'll be there. (Nearly 3 hours each way on the trains and £28 in fares on top of the entry fee are more than I could handle.)

It's the kind of route that I'd like to do as a forum ride some time though if I could get a lift over there.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It looks a nice route but I think the logistics and cost of me doing it make it unlikely that I'll be there. (Nearly 3 hours each way on the trains and £28 in fares on top of the entry fee are more than I could handle.)

If I could get the train fare down to about £13 would you be interested, or is the 3 hours each way the killer?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm a possible, only issue is that a) it's a week after I do 3 Peaks of the UK and b) a week before I go to the Olympics.

SWMBO would need some persuading ...

ColinJ

If I could get the train fare down to about £13 would you be interested, or is the 3 hours each way the killer?
I'm hard up so paying £28 fares + £25 entry is for me a very expensive day's ride. £38 would obviously be an improvement but still pricey and there would still be nearly 6 hours on trains with two changes each way which would be a real drag, especially the return journey when I'd be tired.

Having said that, I'd be interested to know how you'd get the fares down to £13 because RedSpottedHanky is normally as cheap as they come and they quoted £28. I'd be interested in cheap fares out that way because I've only done one ride out of York and don't really know East Yorkshire***.

*** Blimey - I've just checked some prices and I can get a direct train there from Hebden Bridge to Micklefield for only £6.10 return - why have I never thought of that before! That opens up a whole new cycling area to me and it is only 70 minutes each way.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Having said that, I'd be interested to know how you'd get the fares down to £13 because RedSpottedHanky is normally as cheap as they come and they quoted £28. I'd be interested in cheap fares out that way because I've only done one ride out of York and don't really know East Yorkshire***.

*** Blimey - I've just checked some prices and I can get a direct train there from Hebden Bridge to Micklefield for only £6.10 return - why have I never thought of that before! That opens up a whole new cycling area to me and it is only 70 minutes each way.
Red spotted hanky probably dont have any vouchers for a £5 day rover on Northern ;-) with that & an advance booking on tpe from leeds to hull at around £8. If northern ran an earlier train to hull, it would only be £5 all in. I just have 1 voucher left, before I'm inundated with requests

ColinJ

Red spotted hanky probably dont have any vouchers for a £5 day rover on Northern ;-) with that & an advance booking on tpe from leeds to hull at around £8. If northern ran an earlier train to hull, it would only be £5 all in. I just have 1 voucher left, before I'm inundated with requests
Ah, I see ... Nice of you to offer, but I'll pass - 6 hours on trains for a day on the bike is too much!

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Did you change your mind and decide that you fancied an even bigger challenge this year? :whistle:^_^

It's the kind of route that I'd like to do as a forum ride some time though if I could get a lift over there.

Colly & I did it last year as run out & I've done the 60 with Ray0747

I 'd recomend a Sunday in the summer if anyone fancies it?

free parking in Beverley, nice coffee shops if it does not rain...

Just need to find the cafe at the village (Millington http://www.ramblersrestmillington.co.uk/tearoom/ ) before NunBurnholme

DCLane

A bump for this - there appears to be 5 Cyclechatters registered for it:

Paul Soltys (Solty Dog) 100km Cycle Chat
Gary Day Cyclechat
Trevor Gunderson Cyclechat
Shaun Hague Cyclechat
David Lane (DCLane) 160km Cyclechat

Any others?

Also, I'm doing the 160 - anyone else doing that distance?

I'll be on my Spesh Secteur (hopefully), green/white helmet and probably black/white or red/white Club Roost s/s jersey and shorts.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Well I've managed to get the day off, so my place wont be wasted, but i've done very little mileage this year, so the 100k could be a bit of a struggle :heat:

DCLane

Having hurt my knee on Saturday/Sunday I'm waiting to see whether I'm doing the 100k or the 160k. It seems I can decide on the day, so that's probably what I'll do.

Top Bottom