Big lump of beef

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No...not me!

Got a huge joint of silverside beef for today's dinner and wanted to something a little bit more interesting than just chucking it in the oven.

Any ideas???

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Why not eat it nearly raw? That seems to be the trend these days, blood running out of meat...xx(

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
[QUOTE 3452522, member: 259"]Corn it - but you'l have a to wait for a couple of weeks before you can eat it and you have to persuade the chemist you don't want the saltpetre to make bombs. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I get my bomb making saltpetre from Amazon.co.uk :whistle:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
No...not me!

Got a huge joint of silverside beef for today's dinner and wanted to something a little bit more interesting than just chucking it in the oven.

Any ideas???

Silverside for me too. Its only 1kg because the mrs and teens wont eat it so its all for me.

Nowt flash, just roasting it on a bed of onions, carrots, parsnips, leeks and celery with seasoning. Left overs will be for sarnies and fajitas.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Pot roast. Chuck a few chunked carrots, onions, parsnips, whatever, in a casserole, and fry them for a few minutes. Add the beef and brown it all over. Add a cube's worth of stock, a couple of bayleaves and a palm or two of herbs of choice, then in the oven for three or four hours at 140 (check for evaporation every now & then). Then fish out the meat & veg and stir in a spoon of butter pasted together with a spoon of flour, and stir to thicken over a low heat to make your gravy. Serve with the veg and some mash. That's it. It's almost impossible to screw up, and it always ends up melt-in-the-mouth tender.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Chuck it in the deep fat fryer.

Not without batter I won't.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Pot roast. Chuck a few chunked carrots, onions, parsnips, whatever, in a casserole, and fry them for a few minutes. Add the beef and brown it all over. Add a cube's worth of stock, a couple of bayleaves and a palm or two of herbs of choice, then in the oven for three or four hours at 140 (check for evaporation every now & then). Then fish out the meat & veg and stir in a spoon of butter pasted together with a spoon of flour, and stir to thicken over a low heat to make your gravy. Serve with the veg and some mash. That's it. It's almost impossible to screw up, and it always ends up melt-in-the-mouth tender.

SOLD! Thanks :hungry:

young Ed

Veteran
@Easytigers where was our invitation ?????????

we have a buffet lunch then turkey sarnies for tea all welcome kicks off about 1.30 so 40 mins
i'm comin'!
2598-racing-tractor.jpg

Cheers Ed

Cubist

Still wavin'
It's myoglobin. Well, mostly water, but myoglobin is basically the way nutrients and oxygen are carried to the muscles. It goes brown as it cooks/oxidises. Just once, put aside your prejudice and try a piece of rare beef. Not silverside, but a quick-cook cut like rump or even fillet. If you don't like it, fair do's, but you are denying yourself a lot of taste and flavour by being squeamish. :smile:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's myoglobin. Well, mostly water, but myoglobin is basically the way nutrients and oxygen are carried to the muscles. It goes brown as it cooks/oxidises. Just once, put aside your prejudice and try a piece of rare beef. Not silverside, but a quick-cook cut like rump or even fillet. If you don't like it, fair do's, but you are denying yourself a lot of taste and flavour by being squeamish. :smile:

Ok i'll try it....one day!:whistle:

Top Bottom