Bigfella's Raleigh commuter project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Thanks for clarifying, I think I will go with a free wheel for now, then change to the fixed once I have got used to it. I just worry a bit about slowing down.

Colour for the frame I have been thinking a bright yellow with black forks/seat post - how about that!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bigfella said:
Thanks for clarifying, I think I will go with a free wheel for now, then change to the fixed once I have got used to it. I just worry a bit about slowing down.

Colour for the frame I have been thinking a bright yellow with black forks/seat post - how about that!

Whats to worry about slowing down? If your not confident put 2 brakes on until you get used to leg braking, and spinning.
Then when your not using your rear brake, take it off.
Whats to worry there?

bonj2

bigfella said:
Thanks for the info - would have been good at the time, I noticed one of the holes isn't in the right place but I'm sure something can be done to make good.

it's probably ok if it's steel.

Tel

Veteran
Hey Bigfella. I've just took the plunge and converted my bike to fixed had a very short test run today which was an experience! Think its gunna take a while to get used to it. Regarding the new style stem, you'll either need new forks or an ahead converter which should only cost you about £7 or so.

And 28mm tyres on those rims should be fine.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Joe24 said:
Whats to worry about slowing down? If your not confident put 2 brakes on until you get used to leg braking, and spinning.
Then when your not using your rear brake, take it off.
Whats to worry there?

I suppose its nothing really, I should really try it. I don't want to spend the money on something I will have to change at a later date, but I guess it wouldn't cost much to convert fixed to free wheel.

bonj said:
it's probably ok if it's steel.

Yeah thats what I thought, it should be easy enough to weld it.

Tel said:
Hey Bigfella. I've just took the plunge and converted my bike to fixed had a very short test run today which was an experience! Think its gunna take a while to get used to it. Regarding the new style stem, you'll either need new forks or an ahead converter which should only cost you about £7 or so.

And 28mm tyres on those rims should be fine.

Excellent, have you ever heard of those rims? I'm not sure if some stronger ones can be had for not too much of an expense. Ahead converter I think I shall use, or can most forks be used?

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Just been looking at carbon forks, do you think it matters about the rake as a lot of the carbon ones are straight.

zzpza

bigfella said:
As you can see here, the brakes - not sure if these are worth replacing. They are Shimano EXAGE. If I were to use these I want to replace the bolt as the chrome has gone rusty - unless these can be bought?

by the looks of the photos, they are single pivot (old style and not as good as dual) but allen mount (modern mounting). did you use an allen key to remove them or a spanner? can you take a photo of the end of the bolt that goes through the middle of the caliper and has the nut on the end of it (i.e. the back of the brake)? just to make sure... i'm just a bit cautious saying it definately is, as my raleigh has nut style mounting and not allen.

if it is allen mount brakes, then you can pretty much take your pick of any current brakeset. tektro are very good VFM as can the entry level campy / shimano stuff if you are in the right place at the right time. you will get improved braking using a modern set of brake callipers, and it will probably cost less than trying to hunt down NOS parts to restore your old ones. quicker too. i got a new set of shimano tiagra for £20 (IIRC) for my apollo.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Hi there, yes it is allen mounting. I have bought a set of Campy Mirage's but plan to use those on another frame. I have decided that I might sell this one after I've rebuilt it.

See my other post for pictures of my other project.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
With regards to both frames, a local powder coater will do them for £25 per frame. Should be dropping them off on Friday!

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
As mentioned in my other project post the frames have gone to paint.

I got the holes filled including the ones on the head tubes from the badge rivets - cost me £30 though! Still, he did a very good job.

Still not sure if I should make this one a geared bike as I may sell it on at a later date. Perhaps it might be more sellable that way?

Tel

Veteran
They seem to be going for more as fixies at the moment, I seen some real pieces of shite go for silly money on ebay

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Well thats what I will do then, this won't be a piece of shite though!

It will have new wheels, fresh paint etc.

Tel

Veteran
Yeah sorry I wasn't implying that, just when I see how much some of these bikes go for I just think the worlds gone mad!

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Well this is where I am so far. Had a few issues, headset stack height is far too high - I only realised this after I fitted it all ;). So I will find a more generic one - shame as it cost me £25!

Chain line is spot on as you can see in the photos and I am pleased with the FSA bb and crankset.

I chipped the paint in a couple of places which I'm not too pleased about. Hopefully I have recovered it, I used a rattle can to touch it up. I will use some rubbing compound and car polish later to bring the shine back. This is my first build so mistakes happen, straight after this build I have another nicer frame that has been painted the same colour; I will build it with some nicer bits and the build should go smoother!

Once I have the paint and headset sorted the only other issue is that the rear wheel axle is not long enough. It has a sealed bearing hub and solid axle - how would I remove this and exchange for a longer one?

Now for some photos....

Top Bottom