Bigger or not thighs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Struggling with this one. Why is that relevant?
It's probably stretched if washed too hot, fabric softener used etc. Cheap thin cycling shorts give up their strech sooner too

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

I'm sure me head office is washing shorts according to manufacturers instructions. I've lost about a third of my body weight in the last year and half. I have been spending as much time as possible on the big ring of recent, before that it was mostly spinning, avg. 90 rpm. I hope the resistance may be able to help add some mass. I have just ordered the book, Fast after 50 https://www.amazon.com/Fast-After-50-Race-Strong/dp/1937715264 . I'm 53 so it may not be coming back anymore.

ayceejay

Guru
These are the legs of the winner of the 2017 TdeF how do your compare

Attachments

• froome legs.jpg
    froome legs.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 62

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If you had seen the size of my waist, that would not be your immediate response @smutchin but I get your drift

My comments are based on my own very similar experience when I lost a lot of weight a few years ago. You do notice the biggest difference around the waist (visceral fat) but I also lost a lot of spare (subcutaneous) fat from my arms, legs and neck. My favourite comfortable shorts ended up being very baggy around my thighs.

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

It's counter intuitive in my mind, but your point is clearly evidenced, @ayceejay by comparison my legs are a lot more hairy! That's quite a picture, I had no idea, thanks for sharing... somethings cannot be un-looked

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
My thighs are thicker at the top section and a lot more defined , as are my calves ..

Slick

Guru
Mine too, find it really hard to buy trousers and shorts that fit without going a size up which means the waist is baggy .
I feel I'm the same, but it could be my imagination. Given what others have said, I'm now wondering if it's just cutting in which gives the appearance of gain? Some jeans do feel uncomfortably tight in the leg now.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Mine too, find it really hard to buy trousers and shorts that fit without going a size up which means the waist is baggy .

It was about 10 years ago that I had to give up on shops like Next and M&S, because their 30inch waist trousers were so tight on the bum and thighs that they were in danger of splitting.

Yet I've had a 30 inch waist all my adult life (nearly 3 decades) and my weight has been static all that time too. I'm convinced that the 'cut' of trousers is just tighter now than it used to be. Finding office trousers is ridiculous, some look like a 2nd skin.

In response to the OP, my thighs don't seem bigger now that I cycle regularly. My calf muscles are definitely bigger though.

my thighs just never get any bigger, i'm light and can go fast at times but a long day with hills kills me
would have liked a bit more muscle to help endurance but dont think much will change now

si_c

Guru
my thighs just never get any bigger, i'm light and can go fast at times but a long day with hills kills me
would have liked a bit more muscle to help endurance but dont think much will change now
Endurance isn't really about muscle size, otherwise the likes of Chris Froome wouldn't get very far.

Top Bottom