Bigger or not thighs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Okeydokey

When I started this malarkey quite a few months ago, I was expecting my quads to grow.
But as I carry out longer and longer rides, and as I get stronger on the hills, the legs bands on my budget shorts are getting looser and looser which comes as a bit of a surprise.
Tbh! I don't care either way but I was hoping for some free of charge compression on the quads which doesn't look like it's going to happen.
So is it possible my legs get thinner and stronger at the same time?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My legs are thinner than they were. Rock hard thighs and calf muscle with good definition though. I have found, however, that my skinny jeans are a smidge snug on the thigh due to the change of shape of my legs.

Thinner and stronger is a definite possibility

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You're losing fat. You will probably feel stronger because your power-to-weight ratio and cardiovascular fitness are improving, but you won't build muscle unless you do specific muscle-building exercise - eg weights.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't stop until they look like this:
Does-Cycling-Build-Leg-Muscles-600x350.jpg

http://www.ilovebicycling.com/will-cycling-make-your-legs-bigger/

S-Express

Tbh! I don't care either way but I was hoping for some free of charge compression on the quads which doesn't look like it's going to happen.
So is it possible my legs get thinner and stronger at the same time?

You will only achieve muscle hypertrophy and increases in muscle strength by pushing/lifting weights at or near your maximal force exertion capabilities. Fortunately/unfortunately (delete as appropriate) cycling does not bring you anywhere close to that level of required force application.

si_c

Guru
My legs are just much leaner. I still have problems with jeans though as even with loose fit my legs are too big for my waist size so I have to go up a size.

ayceejay

Guru
The difference between the legs shown in the photo and the ones you describe is often explained by the difference between a track sprinter and an endurance cyclist. Endurance athletes rarely carry a lot of muscle.

vickster

Legendary Member
What bodytype are you? Do you start off muscly?
Have you lost any weight since you bought the shorts?
How do you wash your Lycra?

Top Bottom