Bigger water bottle or two of them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ellis456

Whats better?, can get another cage and another bottle(but would add more weight) or do they sell longer versions of the normal size water bottles?.(would be better).

Thanks.

I've got a bottle holder i use on longer trips it holds a 1.5 litre Coke bottle.... and with another bottle never short of fluids.

Got it from Charlie the Bikemonger

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/bbb-xl-fuel-tank-bottle-cage-560-p.asp

Davidc

Guru
Some do User3143. Like many people I have 2 for water because I often get through 2 between fill ups. If I'm riding up onto the moors though I tend to take 1 plus a 2l bottle of water in the saddlebag.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have 2 bottle cages on each of my 3 bikes. On long rides I take 2 800 mL SIS bottles containing my DIY energy drink and if necessary, another 500 mL bottle containing the energy drink minus the water. If I can get the water somewhere, I can make up another 2 800 mL bottles and that would see me through to 100 miles or so.

If I was going on a long ride somewhere remote where I wasn't sure of being able to get clean water, I'd take the 2 bottles on my bike plus my 2 L Camelbak. That would be good for 125 miles which is about my limit when I'm fit (though I have done up to 140 miles a few times).

I used to use 750ml bottles but found I got too many bounce outs with my carbon cages. Swapped back down to 500ml and everythings good :thumbsup:

So if you have carbon cages, (or plastic ones as my mate's had problems with large bottles in his plastic cages), I'd stick to 500ml bottles.

If you have alu cages then ignore all the above :whistle:

ColinJ

I used to use 750ml bottles but found I got too many bounce outs with my carbon cages. Swapped back down to 500ml and everythings good :thumbsup:

So if you have carbon cages, (or plastic ones as my mate's had problems with large bottles in his plastic cages), I'd stick to 500ml bottles.

If you have alu cages then ignore all the above :whistle:
I have Al cages and have had the 800 mL bottles come out a few times, but not enough to be a major problem. Maybe 3 times in 20,000 bottle-miles!

zacklaws

Guru
another 500 mL bottle containing the energy drink minus the water.

Colin, the best way I have found to carry energy drink powder is in the small plastic yoghurt bottles with screw tops that are now the rage for breakfast like actimil. I hate yoghurt, but I noticed one of those bottles in the bin as my partner sometimes has them, I cleaned and dried it out, and when I filled it with powder +electrolyte powder it held exactly 65grms, which gives me exactly enough to make an energy drink of just a tad over an 8% solution in a 750ml bottle which is the strongest I use and I think maximum recommended.

Usually I just carry one or two of these to mix with water on the ride depending on how far I am going, just one is good for just over 100 miles and they take very little room up in your pocket.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As lee says 1 water 1 energy drink for me as well.

De pendant on the weather and speed that can last a good 50 miles+ for me, less atm as it is warm.

Any further and i would be planning a refuel / bladder stop.

I have Al cages and have had the 800 mL bottles come out a few times, but not enough to be a major problem. Maybe 3 times in 20,000 bottle-miles!

I have alu cages too and I've also had 800ml bottles come out from time to time, the last was on the CC Ecosse Dunblane ride :blush: 500ml bottles may be more secure but I'd rather have a) that extra fluid and b) more bottle to grip hold of so I put up with that occasional problem too :smile:

ColinJ

Colin, the best way I have found to carry energy drink powder is in the small plastic yoghurt bottles with screw tops that are now the rage for breakfast like actimil. I hate yoghurt, but I noticed one of those bottles in the bin as my partner sometimes has them, I cleaned and dried it out, and when I filled it with powder +electrolyte powder it held exactly 65grms, which gives me exactly enough to make an energy drink of just a tad over an 8% solution in a 750ml bottle which is the strongest I use and I think maximum recommended.

Usually I just carry one or two of these to mix with water on the ride depending on how far I am going, just one is good for just over 100 miles and they take very little room up in your pocket.
I think yoghurt is great stuff - I get through about 2 litres of very low fat natural yoghurt a week!

I used to use a small bottle to carry branded flavoured powder but these days I use plain maltodextrin + Lo-salt and I like 1/3 OJ in my drinks (sometimes with freshly squeezed lemon and lime) to add a nice taste and supply some fructose for bonus calories!

It means that I carry an extra 1/2 kg with me but I'm carrying so much blubber anyway that it doesn't really bother me.

Top Bottom