Gloves . Do you always wear them for winter cycling, and what sort?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always wear them in winter.
I developed a skin condition on my fingers back in October. I cannot be sure what the cause is, but I am suspecting it could be the Ski gauntlets that I have had for a long time.

It is easy to wash a pair of wool type or polyester gloves etc. Not quite as easy to wash the insides of gauntlets, and even harder to dry them - best to do it on a hot summer day.

Of course there could be a miriad things that can cause dermatitis 'type symptoms'. The bods connected to the GP practice are currently on the case.

I have stopped wearing the gauntlets, just in case.

vickster

Legendary Member
I always wear gloves or mitts on the bike.
I have a range of pairs for winter depending on the temperature, Alturea, Sealskinz, Decathlon, Specialized. I just wash inside out if needed (not sure what ski gauntlets are?!)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wear glves/mits when ever I cycle. In not wanting to risk going down and destroying the palms of my hands. That would be very painful.

I don't like padded gloves so wear unpadded track mits in the warmer months, normal waterproof or woollen gloves in the colder.
I recently got THESE waterproof gloves from LightInTheBox. And they are fully waterproof and warm. They work with my mobile phone. Great for the cheap price.

I wear pigskin gloves designed for mechanics that work outdoors; I find anything else tears after a few weeks. For some reason these gloves also fit over my wrist brace better than other gloves too.

Greasy Gilbert

I know nothing so feel free to contradict me.
Over the years I've tried all kinds of gloves, my current choices are a pair of Chiba waterproof winter gloves which came from Wiggle I think and some winter specific ones from Decathlon. I alternate these on a daily basis so they get a chance to dry out. I always use ski glove liners, also from Decathlon.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Over the years I've tried all kinds of gloves, my current choices are a pair of Chiba waterproof winter gloves which came from Wiggle I think and some winter specific ones from Decathlon. I alternate these on a daily basis so they get a chance to dry out. I always use ski glove liners, also from Decathlon.

+1 for Chiba, I've got winter gloves and fingerless for summer.

presta

Guru
I just use ordinary 'Polartec' type fleece gloves. Two pairs if it's cold.

I wouldn't entertain the idea of anything with grips on, I nearly fluffed an emergency stop once, a few days after I'd put some new grippy bar tape on, because it dragged on my hands as I went to slide them forward onto the brake hoods.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I only wear gloves when the temperature drops to the point where windchill becomes a problem; which is fairly soon when the temperature starts to fall as I have skinny fingers and feel the cold.

I have a pair of thinnish Macwet gloves which do well from maybe twelve degrees down to mid single-digits, another pair of thicker insulated gloves that are decent to low single-digits.

What I lack is anything really well insulated and / or waterproof... the two pairs above I was lucky enough to own and re-purpose. For the final set of criteria I either can't find anything suitable, or am too tight to pay the asking price..

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No, it was around 12C earlier this week and that certainly doesn’t need gloves.

scragend

I always wear a full-finger glove. My hands get sweaty when I'm riding and I hate the feeling of sticky grips/bar tape. I've tried wearing mitts in summer but I still prefer the full-finger.

I've always worn cheap gloves from Wilko and they've done me fine. But my latest pair are wearing out and for obvious reasons I can't get a direct replacement (they'd stopped stocking this kind some time before their demise anyway). They don't need to be padded/insulated; I'm just looking for a relatively thin full-finger glove, preferably with a velcro cuff.

C R

Guru
I always wear them in winter.
I developed a skin condition on my fingers back in October. I cannot be sure what the cause is, but I am suspecting it could be the Ski gauntlets that I have had for a long time.

It is easy to wash a pair of wool type or polyester gloves etc. Not quite as easy to wash the insides of gauntlets, and even harder to dry them - best to do it on a hot summer day.

Of course there could be a miriad things that can cause dermatitis 'type symptoms'. The bods connected to the GP practice are currently on the case.

I have stopped wearing the gauntlets, just in case.

You could try wearing silk liners so that your skin is not in direct contact with the gloves.

Slick

Guru
I always wear gloves, regardless of the weather. I suppose its a bit of a throwback to being our grafting as even on sites in summer wearing shorts, I would still wear gloves as my hands would end up like crocodile hide if I didn't. The type doesn't really matter, I've got various types for various conditions from fingerless to reasonably padded for when the inevitable winter sets in.

Top Bottom