Biggest Chainring In The World! Ever!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to have a Speed Six with Doug Milliken disc wheel/spoke fairings (as used on the faired Moulton speedliners). The rear subframe was twisted out of wack so it crabbed along sideways but it looked wicked. It had a very rare 1960s Williams splined chainset on it which I still have somewhere.

bagpuss

Guru
Mickle.Further to your Williams comment.Here's a picture of one.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N00/2198228808/in/set-72157604894138345/

kit-small-wheels

Lardyboy said:
A very popular misconception lads. Once you get past the size of the wheels they handle like a "big" bike. I've had mine for nearly 3 years and it's a hoot over taking other cyclists on it. Top speed, down hill admittedly, 47.8 m.p.h. no problem! :rolleyes:

Resurrecting this thread too, I'm with Lardyboy 100%.

Since I rode a Moulton Demonstrator in the summer of '62 I've been a convert. I took delivery of my Safari (piccie below I hope) at Easter time 1963 and I've not ridden a big wheeled bike since then.

I too have a Williams AB77 cotterless set, currently fitted to the Safari as you can see, and I rode with it yesterday. :smile:

It came from my Speedsix, currently being rebuilt (the word 'currently' used in its widest possible sense here, the re-build has lasted at least 10 years, maybe more!)

Will1985

Über Member
The bike in the OP looks like it has either a 75 or 80t chainring from trying to count a fifth of the ring.

NikB and his 77t is probably the most regular used massive chainring in the UK - there probably aren't many who can push bigger gears either.

Top Bottom