Biggest gear on the flat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
If we take the 'usually use' part of this seriously, there are some massive big-gear pushers on here. On 27" wheels 50 x 14 would be a gear of 7.68 metres. My ride-all-day on the flat in calm weather would be 5.64 metres (42 x 16) and average around 24 kph.

I read it as the biggest gear you usually use, not the gear that you usually use, i.e. your go-to gear. Probably every ride I would get into 50/14 at some point, it's not the gear I stay in most of the time though.

ChrisEyles

Guru
For a gear that I can actually spin in relative comfort on the flat, I really like the 52/20 gear on my ten speed. The next gear up, 52/17 is a smidge high to spin on the flat unless it's still / there's a tail wind, so I tend to swap between the 17t & 20t sprocket.

Most of my riding I seem to be grinding away up a hill in 42/28, or freewheeling down the other side - it's hilly round these parts!

Some of the gears quoted above don't sound like "spin in relative comfort on the flat" gears to me!

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
One of our bikes is a tandem. I have just changed the gearing to 42t chainwheel, 11-34 freewheel. It has 20” wheels. Our test ride on Saturday suggests we will do 16-17mph on smooth flat road at our normal cadence. Fast enough for us ;) But, our "normal" (ie mots frequent use) gear on the flat, on the Tandem is 42/13, which gives us about 12-13mph at our normal cadence.
In that case we would both have a cadence of around 60-62 rpm. I'm not pedalling unusually slow then.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Very true! I was thinking more along the lines of what SS gear I could put up with rather than the highest I might occasionally use on the flat.

In that case it's 52/17 for me. But closely followed by a downshift to 52/20 :blush:

D

Deleted member 1258

Geared bike this year, either 50 x 17 or 50 x 19 for 19- 22 mph on the flat, depending on weather conditions. On the fixed last winter 48 x 19 for around 19-20 mph, dependent on weather.

I'm the one cyclist that everyone overtakes. :laugh:

Unless I'm heading downhill or have a really stiff tailwind to aid my cause, I'll usually be bimbling along on a 46 x 17 on a 26 inch or 650c wheeled bike.

That's about 10 mph, there or thereabouts, but then I'm a spinner rather than a grinder.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
On a flat road with no head wind, then the normal gear for me is 52/15 or 16. As soon as the road goes up, so do the gears, up to the 19 or 21.

Top Bottom