Bike #2 - Cannondale CAAD13?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoatBeard

Thinking of grabbing a second bike (well why wouldn't you!?) I currently have a Boardman AiR 9.0 Elite (2012) full carbon. Great bike for the finer weather. However, I'm not sure I feel good about putting it through it's paces in the cold, dark wet days around the corner. Any thoughts on how a CAAD 12 or 13 might compare? Will I be significantly slower on these Aluminium frames? I can really move like lightening as is until my shoulder kicks in and starts crippling me.

Admittedly, having had a Halfords alu jobbie road bike I do miss the sturdiness of it (real or imagined)

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm not sure I feel good about putting it through it's paces in the cold, dark wet days around the corner
You're moving to Ayrshire?? :ohmy:
This is only May; I hope we've got a lot more summer yet to come!

Last edited:

Daninplymouth

I highly doubt it. I have a Caad13 and it seems fast enough. Not technical but I have only been riding regularly the last 3months and it has given me many trophies on strava and has kept up with much more expensive bikes over certain runs

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I have a CAAD12 105 as well as a 2016 KTM Revelator. I never feel like I'm riding the poor relation on the CAAD12 and if the 13 is as good as they say it is, then there must be a lot of cheap carbon owners who could have made a smarter, but less fashionable choice.

si_c

Guru
I'm of the opinion that a good alloy bike is probably better than a carbon bike at the same price, discounts notwithstanding.

I have a couple of aluminium bikes and they're both fantastic would absolutely buy again. The CAAD series bikes are reputedly excellent and unlikely to disappoint if purchased.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve never felt the need to take the leap over to carbon, before I bought my current bike last year I had a 2008 Specialized Allez and when I replaced it I chose an ally frame again.

I have a CAAD12 and it’s every bit as good as my Cervelo R5 or Scott SL both much more expensive bikes, which is a bit weird given the 8, 7, 6kg weights of those three the heavier CAAD rides very well as it does with climbs, my R5 is just under 6kg and feels like there’s nothing under me, the Scott is a super firm ride.

if I had to pick one it would be the alu CAAD

Top Bottom