Bike Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smithid

I have a mountain bike but am bored with riding it on the road. I was brought up with an old fashioned racer and have decided to go back to my roots. I am tossing up between the Trek 1.2, Specialized Allez Sport Triple and the Scott Speedster S50 24. Does anyone have experience of any of these bikes and an opinion they could share?

Thanks

shippers

I've got the specialized secteur sport- it's only a few quid more that the allez sport triple, and it's excellent. Other than being white.
My mate has the spesh sport double and he wishes he'd got the triple. That's not really helped you, has it?

OP
OP
S

smithid

Thanks

That is very helpful, I will have a look at the secteur. Can anyone suggest anywhere better or cheaper than Evans in London?

lit

I've just bought the s40 27 (I was originally going to get the s50 you mentioned but the stock has been delayed (at evans at least, I presume everywhere might be the same).

It's a lovely bike to ride, had no problems with it aside from a slack cable adjustment.

Cyclist33

Well, as I understand it, the Allez Sport Triple is white too ;-)

I think the Secteur is designed for longer road rides and the Allez for shorter blasts, but both look pretty similar to me in the local shop. For me the Allez looks sweeter.

I nearly bought the Trek 1.2 last summer and I weighed it up in the local shop the other week just to drool. It's a really nice bike for the price. They say the saddle is hard though.

Other option - Giant Defy?

Cyc

shippers

The Allez and Secteur are very similar to look at. Slight variation in the stickers- the big "specialized" one is solid black on the Allez, the secteur has a stripe on top of the top tube. The big difference is the insert in the forks which is supposed to stop vibration.

Tip re Evans and prices- they'll price match anywhere; Edinburgh Bicycle had 15% off in a store 30 miles away but the local Evans matched it.

thanos

Have you tested any of the frames for size and fit? Probably not very helpful on my part, as you clearly identified three specific models, but it wasnt clear whether riding them did or didnt help the decision making.

My opinion (on a totally subjective attribute of the three, which has been bugging me,as ive recently seen a 1.2 on the road, and researched the 1.1 as an option for me) is that theres something about the color scheme of the trek 1.1/1.2 that i dont like (too racey but in a bad way.. trek trek trek eighty times all over). Im more at peace with single color schemes or for example the colors used by the felt z100.

The specialized and the scott do look good though :smile:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Go sit on all of em, preferably ride them too.

The Spec and the Trek suit different people. I was all set to buy the Allez, till I actually rode it next to the Trek 1200 I actually got. The Spec was so much more uncomfortable for me - although other people have said exactly the opposite.

You'll know when you find the right bike..... it just feels right; but to get it, you have to try them.

OP
OP
S

smithid

I have sat on all three and my feeling from that is that the Trek is a little too agressive for me. I have now had a look at the Secteur (although it was the elite not the sport) as well and was impressed. I am going to arrange to have a ride of three and I am now thinking about which three I will ask to have set up to try.

OP
OP
S

smithid

Someone has recommended the Boardman Comp or Team. Pushing up the price a bit. Does anyone have any experience of either?

martynjc1977

Veteran
I have a 2009 Trek 1.5, good bike and never had a problem with it, No matter what you end up getting make sure you get fitted, seat hight stem length ect, it will make your ride more comfortable, also look about for some 2009 stock you should get a good deal.

shippers

The Secteur Elite is a gorgeous bike, but the step up in price is enormous. £650 to £1000, whereas the Allex step from Sport to Elite is only a couple of hundred quid.

OP
OP
S

smithid

OK, well I took the plunge. Took a Trek 1.2 and a 2.3 out for a test ride at my local BS and fell in love with the 2.3. It was a great ride. Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom