BIke Alarm with tracker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveGT

I just spent a small fortune on a bike, and would like to get an alarm system - bit like my car -where it has a siren and ideally tracking capabilities.

I can only find soething on Kickstarter website - the Guard, looks good with 4000 lumen light and other features, but I wanted to get something nowish - just wondered if anyone new of anything out there

classic33

Leg End Member
For tracking, try one for dogs/cats. They're small enough to fit within the steerer tube.
The alarm system is another issue. Where would you be leaving it, in an area where alarms are ignored, or noisy industrial area and you'd never hear it.

Gwylan

Veteran
I had one with a SIM card that reported location on request and could be set up to send an alert if moved.
Needed recharging every week or so.

On one trip it got very wet, so I took it off to dry out and so on.

That afternoon some little scroat cut the chain and nicked my bike from outside the coffee shop! I was 20m from the bike.
Will look for a link.

Dadam

Lots of people swear by them especially when it comes to finding your luggage after going through an airport.

There are also alternative mounts for them on seats, frames, or the steerer tube like this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265701131323

Eufy do an alternative which is half the price too.

https://uk.eufy.com/products/t87b0011

How does the GPS signal get through the metal of the steerer tube? Doesn't that act like a Faraday cage?

How does the GPS signal get through the metal of the steerer tube? Doesn't that act like a Faraday cage?

GP Lama on YouTube has tested airtags. He found the signal was a lot less if it's inside the bike.

There's a few places you could put them though.

I have them on a couple of my bikes but I'm not sure what you could do with that information. Say the bike gets nicked and the location is inside a house or garage or block of flats. Are the police going to break down a door looking for a bike ?

Best put most effort into trying to keep the bike safe in the first place.

Dadam

GP Lama on YouTube has tested airtags. He found the signal was a lot less if it's inside the bike.

There's a few places you could put them though.

I have them on a couple of my bikes but I'm not sure what you could do with that information. Say the bike gets nicked and the location is inside a house or garage or block of flats. Are the police going to break down a door looking for a bike ?

Best put most effort into trying to keep the bike safe in the first place.

I was just idly curious but I was considering something for a couple of my bikes. My Orbea Gain has one built in from the factory.

Top Bottom