Bike and bike lock choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You need to be sure the bike is the right size for you, you will hate it every time you
you ride it if it doesn’t fit you, as it will be uncomfortable, not efficient, and could
even be hard to manoeuvre, bikes have personalities too.
Maybe give your height, inside leg measurement and people can give you a pointer
in the right direction, a lot of bikes get sold by their owners with very low miles
because the just are not a good fit for the rider and they get fed up and give up.

Posty27

Regular
what did you go for on the end? I’ve just literally put the exact same post up? great minds think the same and was looking at those two bikes

OP
OP
K

kevotrfc

Just got my £1000 cycle to work scheme voucher. Itching to order a bike. Happy for bike to be a grand and buy helmet and clothing extra.
I live near the coast where it's mostly gravel, dirt. I think my next bike will be a mountain bike for more challenging routes.
I will be doing some road riding but can't see myself doing long road rides. On this basis I was thinking of ordering an adventure bike. Perhaps one where I can change wheels/tyres.
Any advice on a type of bike or specific make and model from experience riders welcome.
Also what type of lock would be recommended? A D-Lock or chain?
Cheers

OP
OP
K

kevotrfc

Sorry for delay. Didn't get a notification.
My new (don't ask) cycle scheme voucher has just came through. Itching to order. I'm leaning towards Boardman but looking at other adventure bikes now too. Want to order asap though.
What have you ordered or thinking of going for?

what did you go for on the end? I’ve just literally put the exact same post up? great minds think the same and was looking at those two bikes

vickster

Legendary Member
D Lock is best - something like an Abus Granit X (or whatever the latest Gold secure rated model is now, about £70, and a cable to go through the front wheel)
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-granit-x-plus-540-230mm-d-lock
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-cobra-cable-220cm/

Is your commute likely to be mucky, if so get a bike that take mudguards so you don't turn up to work with crap all up your back and legs ;)

A gravel/adventure bike might suit you...or the mountain bike with a lockout?

Which retailers can you use your voucher at?

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
I've got a felt CX bike for winter and off-road/adventure rides. Have a look at their new lines Breed and Broam. I think they can both take 700c and 650b wheels/tyres, plus have all the necessary attachment points for mudguards/racks/adventure fittings. I've opted for raceblades for mudguards for easy removal/replacement, and have a second set of wheels (one for road, the other off-road). Lockwise, I have an OnGuard Brute that I use should I need to lock my bike out of sight for a time. It's a beast though, and I very rarely leave my bike out of sight.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The best lock is a small D-lock like the Kryponite Mini. Not enough room to get a bottle jack inside. Any lock can be defeated by a battery-powered angle grinder, though; these were a bit of a game-changer.

vickster

Legendary Member
The best lock is a small D-lock like the Kryponite Mini. Not enough room to get a bottle jack inside. Any lock can be defeated by a battery-powered angle grinder, though; these were a bit of a game-changer.
A bigger lock is better if you can't guarantee a stand though and may need to use a sign or lamp post. I've been scuppered often by my small Kryptonite (silver rated). I use the Abus if leaving bike all day somewhere

@kevotrfc where will you be parking your bike at work / home?

OP
OP
K

kevotrfc

A bigger lock is better if you can't guarantee a stand though and may need to use a sign or lamp post. I've been scuppered often by my small Kryptonite (silver rated). I use the Abus if leaving bike all day somewhere

@kevotrfc where will you be parking your bike at work / home?

Luckily my bike will he secure at work. At home it'll be in the garage. It would be more so for short periods while I'm on out and about, shopping or days out on bike - toilet/food stops etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
Luckily my bike will he secure at work. At home it'll be in the garage. It would be more so for short periods while I'm on out and about, shopping or days out on bike - toilet/food stops etc.
I'd still get a good D lock and mount it on the bike if you're not fitting a rack. A small one may be ok if you can guarantee there'll be a Sheffield stand and not just a lamp post :okay:
You could look at something like the Abus Bordo folding lock or a hiplock but neither is not a lock for leaving for a long time (in a risk area) but better than a cable

Top Bottom