Bike bag - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

henshaw11

I'd expect it to be ok. Probably don't need wheel bags, according to the description:
Inner Wheel sleeve pockets

I've got a planet-x bag (unwheeled) from some years back, the inner pockets were fine on their own, with reinforcement roughly where the axle ends were.

You could just wrap an old towel around the hub centre to give a bit more protection and stop grease getting everywhere..

Presumably you're carrying it yourself and not trusting anyone else with it ? I'd definitely do the following if luggage handlers are involved, but in the event of dropping it yourself:
Pipe insulation foam around the frame tubes will protect them Likewise the plastic fork spacers that bikes ship with (lbs or Halfrauds) will give the fork/frame some support. Take the mech off (or even the mech hanger) and tape that to the frame - just in case you drop the bag. Wrap the chainwheel in a towel, or bag up the chain and wrap an short section of old chain (clean would be my choice ;) ) around the chainwheel to protect it and the bag.

monnet

Guru
To the above I would add to mark your seatpost and lower the saddle - I ride a 54cm and my bike's fine but I know people who ride 58cm+ and find the fit is a bit tight unless they drop the saddle. Also, slacken off the headset and turn the bars into the frame (makes the fit a bit easier). Finally, especially if it's going on a plane, after the foam and pipe tubing pad the bag out with bubble wrap.

I got a spesh allez, pair of Aksiums, a few allen keys, helmet, bottles and 3 sets of summer cycling kit plus all the padding into my (wheel-less) bag and it weighed in at just under the 20kg limit. On balance, I recommend the wheels (I think I've probably got a very similar bag to Henshaw).

Top Bottom