Bike ban at funfairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackandblue

I took the day off today to spend time with the family and take them off to the local funfair.

Off we toddled together, me on my bike, my 4 year old son on his bike, my wife pushing our daughter in her wheelchair and a friend pushing our baby in his pram.

£1 each entry fee and £1 each for a wrist band which reduces the price of (most of the rides) to £1.

But we didn't go in because I wasn't allowed to take my bike in. It was OK for my son to take his bike in, OK for us to push our daughter's wheelchair around and our son's pram but I wasn't allowed to push my bike around. I didn't have a lock with me to lock up my bike and there wasn't really anywhere particularly desirable to do so anyway.

We would have easily spent 20 quid in there. And it looked pretty quiet.

Even if it was justifiable not to allow bikes in I would have thought in today's economic climate they might have been more flexible.

It sounds more like a unfun unfair to me!

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

OK, I can appreciate that certain types of people on bikes are probably not a good idea in these environments. I'd like to think I don't look like I would cause this sort of trouble. I also appreciate that it's difficult to have one rule for some and another for others. But then again, on a quiet grey Thursday afternoon during a severe recession, I'd have thought they would be glad of the cash. Plus they didn't offer any explanation why my bike was unacceptable and why I wouldn't be allowed to wheel it round (I had no intention of cyling around on it and said this to them).

Maz

Guru
Blackandblue said:
Plus they didn't offer any explanation why my bike was unacceptable and why I wouldn't be allowed to wheel it round (I had no intention of cyling around on it and said this to them).
I would've asked.

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

Maz said:
I would've asked.

"It's just not allowed" There wasn't any willingness to enter into a more elaborate dialogue on the subject. It did make me feel like I was facing a "bloody cyclists" barrier.

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

wafflycat said:
Loss to the funfair not to you & yours.

I was looking forward to seeing my son enjoy the rides. That said, he seemed totally unfazed by the prospect of not going in. In fact, possibly even relieved! Earlier in the week he had said he didn't want to go because he was worried about all the trucks. And on the way there he had picked out several rides that he definitely didn't want to go on.

I think I'll take him to the opera next week.

PaulB

Legendary Member
My mate got fired from Blackpool Pleasure Beach where he operated the "Pepsi Max Big One." He sued them for funfair dismissal.

Maz

Guru
Blackandblue said:
I was looking forward to seeing my son enjoy the rides. That said, he seemed totally unfazed by the prospect of not going in. In fact, possibly even relieved! Earlier in the week he had said he didn't want to go because he was worried about all the trucks. And on the way there he had picked out several rides that he definitely didn't want to go on.
Bless. He sounds just like my lad used to.

Brains

Legendary Member
You missed the point.

They wanted you to leave the bike outside the fun fair.

Your lack of a lock just means they can nick it in 5 seconds rather than the normal 5 mins it can take them with a good lock

;)

Top Bottom