Bike boxes at traffic lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If someone is stopped in the bike box I always make a point of getting my bike in front of them anyway, where it's safe to do so.

I'll do that if I've seen them enter it illegally. Otherwise, I'll probably sit behind in primary.

KneesUp

Guru
I'll do that if I've seen them enter it illegally. Otherwise, I'll probably sit behind in primary.
Yes - I should have added that. That doesn't happen where I live though - it seems that if you've got as far as the bike box people are happy to continue through the junction regardless of the lights or the space available for their car the other side.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Lots of bike boxes around here, although I think they're just painted on as part of a box ticking process rather than through any benevolence towards cyclists.
Many car drivers seem to think it's ok to stop in them - especially private hire drivers who I've noticed increasingly drive through the bike box, over the stop line and right up to the road studs. I've never seen any enforcement.

If someone is stopped in the bike box I always make a point of getting my bike in front of them anyway, where it's safe to do so.

Yep, me too if it's a car or van (I wouldn't risk it with a truck) - right in primary. Had a couple of comments, usually from big men through a window they've opened two inches. I just smile and point at the pic of a bike painted on the road...:okay:

PK99

Legendary Member

they might not have broken the law. if you cross the stop line to get infront of them, you have.

Top Bottom