Suicidal traffic lights reported

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
The route of NCN67 in Harrogate uses a traffic light controlled crossroads. Approaching from the south it is a bridleway which after gate is used as access to couple of properties and hence there is a sensor to detect vehicles and which I have experience of it being triggered by three cyclists but it does not detect an individual cyclist. There is a push button for horse riders but no equivalent lower down for cyclists meaning jumping the red light is neccessary. I have raised it with North Yorkshire County Council today as I misjudged the amount of traffic coming off the facing road and set off as soon as that had cleared only to realise the cross traffic had started to move - fortuately a car driver gave me the right of way.

1669415103280.png

Last edited:
How high is the button that it can't be reached by a cyclist?

a.twiddler

Veteran
Looks like it's at the top of the post. A stretch for an average person, not good for shorties or recumbentists.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Suicidal traffic lights?

Sit at the side of the road all day and watch them. They will do nothing. Now put unattentive road users into play and the traffic light will still do nothing.

Its the road users who are suicidal not the lights.

Definitely over high; I am 6ft and there's no way I can reach it

Sweet baby cheeses - what kind of horses do they have round there ?
There is one traffic light by me that only has a horse rider button to trigger it - so I have to press that but I don't remember it being that high.
Oh and theres another one similar - again - they just seem to be marginally higher than a pedestrian one round here.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Definitely needs a pedestrian one but do we need a recumbent level one too ?

The average recumbentist (if there is such a thing) could manage a standard pedestrian height one. You would have to ride a vintage "ordinary" to reach the one in the photo.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Sweet baby cheeses - what kind of horses do they have round there ?
There is one traffic light by me that only has a horse rider button to trigger it - so I have to press that but I don't remember it being that high.
Oh and theres another one similar - again - they just seem to be marginally higher than a pedestrian one round here.

The only logic I can think of for it being so high is that their are a couple of schools nearby and they did not want it being activated for fun.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Now that frame pumps are less common it's hard to see how anyone at ground level could reach that button. Mini pumps have their virtues but length isn't one of them.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Now that frame pumps are less common it's hard to see how anyone at ground level could reach that button. Mini pumps have their virtues but length isn't one of them.

Never thought of trying that probably because I only ever encounter it on my shopping ebike and never take a pump with me. The tyres are full of sealant and if the worse should happen its walkable.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Completely useless response; highway improvements have to be sought via the Parish Council :banghead: An additional push button to an existing pole is hardly a highway improvement and their is no parish council. Sent a reply and await any other response.💤

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Completely useless response; highway improvements have to be sought via the Parish Council :banghead: An additional push button to an existing pole is hardly a highway improvement and their is no parish council. Sent a reply and await any other response.💤

I think I would have fired off a complaint to my Ward Councillor, no joy with them, I would be contacting MP.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Some progress this am; had been reported to the "local" highway office, well Boroughbridge. Had a comment of please wait for the lights; that's the whole flipping point, having to sit there until enough cyclists have turned up to fool the sensor in thinking a car is there.

Top Bottom