Bike build project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have recently acquired the frame of a 2009 Genesis Croix de Fer which I intend build up in to a fast commuter/light tourer. This is the first time I have attempted to do anything like this, so advice would be welcome. Obviously the first thing I need to do is spec. up the missing components any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I wonder where you got a lovely frame like that from... I think the most difficult items to find will be 700c disc rims. Might be worth looking for a set of rims and getting some Deore (or similar) hubs and lacing them up yourself.

I've got a set of 6-bolt 160mm rotors, and some Shimano cable disc calipers inc. mounts if you're interested.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Oddly enough it did come from the Stirling area, the donor has been acknowledged with thanks on the blog.

I haven't decide on which way to go with the wheels, Hugh at the Tri Centre said he could get me some Bontranger disc only wheels, but might go for the diy approach (or more likely get Andrew at the Bicycle Works to do the lacing for me).

I would be interested in the rotors and calipers, can you pm me the details?

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have been offered a Ultegra 6600 crankset without chainrings, however looking at the Shimano rings they are rather expensive, can anyone suggest cheaper alternatives?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Stronglight Dural ones are available from Spa & Ribble. Probably not as long lasting as some but they'll get you going until you can afford to upgrade to their Zicral ones, or TA.

Available in a wider range of sizes than Shimano too.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Avid Road BB7's are what i got on my disc cross bike, and they are better then the shimano version ime.

As for wheels, there is no real need to have discs specific rims, just make sure you got disc hubs, and the rear is the correct oln (it'll be either 130 or 135)

happy to answer any questions if you have them

Top Bottom