Bike build questions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ELL

Über Member
Hello,

After crumpling a frame a few weeks ago in a crash I find myself in the position of having a bike with full Ultegra but knackered frame so was thinking about doing a rebuild on a new frame. Only problem is I have never done this before, I fancy doing it so I then have a better knowledge of bike maintenance and a cheaper way of having a winter bike.

I am not going to have a lot of money to spend on this project as the new bike cost a little bit more than the other. So anyway I am after some advice of a good book that will help guide me and maybe some websites/you tube links and a good but cheap bike tool kit. I have a pretty comprehensive normal (as in non bike) tool kit but know there are some things that i don't have.

Any help would be much appreciated also if anyone knows of a good deal on road bike frames which will take a pannier that would be good as well

Grasen

you have the tools needed - except for the headset and bottom bracket. you could buy or get you LBS to install these for you. the rest is just mount parts. put things on the new frame the same way you took them off the old frame. the tricky bit is getting it all to work afterwards. mostly the gears. shimano web site has instructions here

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
...a good but cheap bike tool kit. I have a pretty comprehensive normal (as in non bike) tool kit but know there are some things that i don't have.

for specific tools, go to ebay or possibly halfords as if your LBS's are anything like those in my town, they're vastly over priced.

you might need a sprocket/cassette remover, but dont pay more than a fiver, how much use will it get?

You can get away with not having a crank extractor, just loosen the bolts and ride round the block until the cranks loosen (don't ride too far, just round in circles as you'll be pushing it home (not tried this with isis drives, but works a treat on square pegs)). These are £20 in town, but £6 on ebay! Be carefull not to cross thread it when putting it in, do it by hand and not by spanner is my advice, if it gets too tought to turn, remove and clean the threads (again).

I threw my chain link extractor away when i bought one of them groovey new fangled chains which don't need one (cant recall the name).

I don't have one of the bottom bracket spanners either, a screwdriver/hammer combo is good enough for me.

Top Bottom