Bike build...the list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok...so I have a thread on here already about building a bike up from scratch...
I'm trying to make a list of everything I need...I'm not very organised so can someone have a quick look (also know that there will be lots of things that I haven't accounted for)
I have already got (or have sourced from friends):
Pinarello frame (2002 Galileo) Stem
Carbon fork Tyres+tubes
Shimano R500 wheels Front derailleur
Seat post Seat post clamp
Tiagra shifters Stem
Pedals

Things I need:
Saddle Rear derailleur
Cassette Front crankset
Chain Cables
Caliper brakes Brake pads
QR skewers Handlebars
Bar tape

I know that there are some glaring omissions...
Thanks for taking the time to look and your advice...I'm a bit out to sea that the moment!!!
Russ

Biker Joe

Über Member
Bottom bracket? Tools?

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Thanks Joe...
Tools...I'm going to be cheeky at first and just lend what I need. Will have to research bottom bracket (I'm so rubbish...was just going on what I could see!)

simon.r

Person
List of parts from the last bike I built (NB - singlespeed, so no mechs / shifters / gear cables)

Frame / Fork
Headset
Handlebar
Brakes
Brake levers
Brake Inners
Brake Outers
Inner cable protector
Grips
Stem
Spacers
Seatpost
Seat clamp
Saddle
Wheels
Lock-Ring
Cog
Chainset - 165mm / 44t
BB
Pedals
Chain
Tyres
Tubes
Anti-scuff patches

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Things I need
COMMAS :whistle:

Seriously though, oh look a comma, oh look another one, sorry :tongue:

Really seriously, you don't need to have absolutely everything before you commence a self build.

IME things can easily take a different turn during the process, for instance 9 speed might become 10, 10 speed might become fixed. The world's your oyster, but if you;ve bought everything up front, (and assuming your budget is not limitless), then you are tied in to your original plan.

Of course you may well stick to your plan with ruthless precision, but that doesn't have to mean you can't change your mind about a component or two as you go.

Get a BB as Biker Joe says, start the build and don't forget to step back and assess things as you go, (like an artist does).

Take your time and enjoy it as well, it's a great experience :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Thanks Smokey...
In my defence, when putting the list together I put lots of spaces between the items, hoping the layout would make it easy to read :whistle:
But really, thanks for the advice. I'm a complete noob at this so am really thankful for any advice!

Biker Joe

Über Member
Thanks Joe...
Tools...I'm going to be cheeky at first and just lend what I need. Will have to research bottom bracket (I'm so rubbish...was just going on what I could see!)
Half the fun of building a bike is figuring it all out.:scratch:

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
:smile: I'm just embarking on build number 6, each one has been different for various reasons, but I agree with the comments made about being ready to change direction. I usually have cost as a major factor , but without wishing to compromise on quality. I go mid range, Deore, XT or there abouts and it amazing, with patience, what bargains can be found. The biggest 'mystery area' for me is the chain set and bottom bracket match. If the frame and or chainset have been acquired 2nd hand, there is often no info regards the spindle length of the bottom bracket required to give a good chain line. The only succesful method I know about is trial and error. I have also found the correct front fork for the build to be one of the more expensive items to source. There's always plenty of choice on the net, but when specific wheel size, steerer lenght,type, size and material are factored in, the choice soon reduces to just one or two options. Anyway, I wish you luck with yours, just popping a couple of parts on the frame can soon give you a very good idea of what you are going to end up with, so dont hold back, get stuck in lad. :bicycle:Whatever you put together, you can always take apart again.

AndyRM

XOXO
Prepare for not having a tool at a critical moment.

Shortly after this unhappy event, you will find yourself apologising to your wife and cat for upsetting them with a resonant stream of unreasonable language.

All in, a valuable and enjoyable experience for everyone!

Top Bottom