Bike building

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wocce Racer

MadoneRider1991 said:
well with my treks life time guarantee on its frame mine will last for lifeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It makes one wonder why they have to issue a lifetime guarantee..........If it was that good it would not need one surely?

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Wocce Racer said:
It makes one wonder why they have to issue a lifetime guarantee..........If it was that good it would not need one surely?

ermmmmm i have friends who have had there madones for around 9 years (whenever the first ones came out) and they still feel like new to ride. the life time guarantee is just there encase you throw it down a hill and snap it

OP
OP
sticky sherbert

sticky sherbert

accountantpete said:
Personally I see frames developing at a greater pace than the group kit so it makes sense to update the frame last -especially as the cost of carbon frames seems to be coming down as the technology becomes more widespread.

That was my thinking also.
I am fairly sure of the groupset I would like but as yet don't know which frame would suit me best so will probably buy a cheaper frame first then the bits to go on. That makes it easier to hide from Mrs Sherbert how much I am spending!

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
sticky sherbert said:
That was my thinking also.
I am fairly sure of the groupset I would like but as yet don't know which frame would suit me best so will probably buy a cheaper frame first then the bits to go on. That makes it easier to hide from Mrs Sherbert how much I am spending!

which groupset u looking at getting?

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Wocce Racer said:

If it has a lifetime guarantee, then it's going to good, if it was going to break all the time they would issue a shorter period like 5 years because they wouldn't want to keep having to pay to replace your frame.

sticky sherbert said:
Ultegra 6700

Good choice :sad:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
MadoneRider1991 said:
ermmmmm i have friends who have had there madones for around 9 years (whenever the first ones came out) and they still feel like new to ride. the life time guarantee is just there encase you throw it down a hill and snap it

Not particularly on topic of this thread but, I just wanted you to clarify this bolded point. As I was always under the impression that if the bike breaks in an accident (throwing it down a hill and snapping it :sad:), warranty counts for nothing. I always throught warranty protected only against manufacturing faults, i.e. the frame cracking, degrading or breaking under 'normal' riding conditions.

On topic of the thread, my approach to buying my 1st (complete)road bike was to buy the bike which had the nicest frame I could afford so that I could slowly upgrade the parts over time. i.e. change the tiagra to 105 or ultegra bit by bit as money and experience dictates. Rather than buy the bike with the best groupset I could afford. So for example I'm buying a CAAD9 with Tiagra, vs a Trek 2.1 with 105, because I like the CAAD9 frame better, this was my gut instinct upon test ride despite its lesser groupset. Thus allowing me to upgrade over time to whatever groupset I decide gradually.

But I can see peoples point about buying the better parts or full bike then upgrading the frame swaping the parts to another better frame later.

I guess it depends on your mentality, income, will power. How gradually you may wish to upgrade, for example being income limited it might be more rewarding to upgrade groupset parts gradually over time giving yourself intervals in which you can reward yourself or treat yourself by getting a small upgrade here and there. Or if you are a good saver(which im not), it may be better to upgrade in one swoop by saving up and changing frame etc.

I dont know all that much about bikes but I thought I'd chip in because the same principle applies to many things, i.e. do you buy a cheap guitar and an expensive amp 1st or buy the better guitar and a cheaper amp then upgrade later by replacing the speaker cones in the cab(or a whole new cab), the amplifier, your effects etc? I guess you could say its more personality/lifestyle based decision than a technical decision on some level.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Rob3rt said:
Not particularly on topic of this thread but, I just wanted you to clarify this bolded point. As I was always under the impression that if the bike breaks in an accident (throwing it down a hill and snapping it :sad:), warranty counts for nothing. I always throught warranty protected against manufacturing faults, i.e. the frame cracking, degrading or breaking under 'normal' riding conditions.

yes but if you come off (throw it down a hill) and the frame cracks or snapped it is a manufacturing fault because it should be strong enough to stand a crash

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
MadoneRider1991 said:
yes but if you come off (throw it down a hill) and the frame cracks or snapped it is a manufacturing fault because it should be strong enough to stand a crash

Really? I'd have thought this wouldnt count under warranty. Like I said was just wishing to clarify.

Jones

MadoneRider1991 said:

Good luck with that :laugh: If you crash most decent manufacturers will offer you a big discount off a new frame but none of them will replace under warranty.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Jones said:
Good luck with that :laugh: If you crash most decent manufacturers will offer you a big discount off a new frame but none of them will replace under warranty.

Yup, as found on Trek's website,

Trek
This warranty does not cover:

• Normal wear and tear
  • Improper assembly
  • Improper follow-up maintenance
  • Installation of parts or accessories not originally intended for, or compatible with, the bicycle as sold
  • Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
  • Labor charges for part replacement or changeover
This warranty is void in its entirety by any modification of the frame, fork, or components. This warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective item and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This warranty extends from the date of purchase, applies only to the original owner, and is not transferable. Trek Bicycle Corporation is not responsible for incidental or consequential damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion of incidental or consequential damages, so the above exclusion may not apply to you. Claims under this warranty must be made through an authorized Trek dealer. Proof of purchase is required. The subject item must be registered with Trek Bicycle Corporation, either through on-line registration or by the receipt of a warranty registration card by Trek Bicycle Corporation, before a warranty claim may be processed. Warranty duration and detail may differ by frame type and/or by country. This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights may vary from place to place. This warranty does not affect the statutory rights of the consumer.

Carbon Crash Replacement Policy:

Assessing any damage done to a carbon fiber part requires more experience than is needed to inspect metal parts. If you crash or impact your bike and the force of the impact is absorbed by a carbon part, we strongly encourage you to replace the part, even if there are no indications of damage. If such a crash or impact occurs, Trek offers a crash replacement program for carbon parts, substantially reducing any replacement cost. To take advantage of this program, contact us using the information listed above and ask for the Warranty department.
Cannondale's warranty also has similar terms

Cannondale
  • This warranty is void if the bicycle is subjected to abuse, neglect, improper repair, improper maintenance, alteration, modification, an accident or other abnormal, excessive, or improper use.
  • Damage resulting from normal wear and tear, including the results of fatigue, is not covered. Fatigue damage is a symptom of the frame being worn out through normal use. It is one kind of normal wear and tear, and it is the owner’s responsibility to inspect his/her bicycle. See section 5. and D.
So I'd assume most manufacturers would have similar rules.

Top Bottom