Bike buying advice for a beginner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

siobhan

I have just got into cycling (mainly because I had to sell my car for financial reasons). I was given a bike by my mum, which is fine, but I am considering investing in a better one, but I have no idea what to go for?:sad:
I mainly use it for riding to work (which is about 1.5 miles), I also like riding through the woods where the terrain is a bit rougher.
The bike I currently have is a Saxon ladies mountain bike with 5 gears.
I wouldn't even know where to start with buying another one? Would more gears be beneficial to me? Can anyone help please?
Thanks in advance :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have a budget? If you like to ride the rough stuff, maybe look at something like a Specialized Ariel (I'd say with lock out forks but they don't seem to have one this year). Perfectly fine for a short road commute but also chunky enough for woods

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/26783...ogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid26783

This also looks decent for the cash as an end of line model - around £250 (so a fair chunk less than the Spesh)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_240381_langId_-1_categoryId_165534#dtab

What is wrong with the current steed? Do you struggle on hills for example due to the shortage of gears?

aberal

Guru
Your first port of call has to be a good local bike shop. If you let us know which town you live in somebody on CC may be able to advise a good one to go to. They should be able to set you up with something which suits what you are looking for. It sounds like you may be looking for a "hybrid" bike - a bit of a mix of road and mountain bike which is good for commutes and for tracks and trails. But you really first need to set a budget. This is tricky because if you set it too low you may get a bike which is heavy and uncomfortable with low quality components which will invariably break before long. Set it too high and you may be buying something which you don't really benefit from. £500 may sound like a lot - but it's not really if you can afford it, because a bike at that level should be comfortable with decent long lasting components - it will be a joy to ride and could lead to bigger and better things. And it could last 10 years if you look after it - which works out at 50 quid a year. Cheap at the price.

OP
OP
S

siobhan

I'm not sure if more gears would help me climb hills, or if it's just my inexperience and relative lack of fitness, lol

vickster

Legendary Member
I have been riding a while, am fitter than I was and I still hate hills...having some sissy gears do help though...fortunately, it's not really hilly around here :whistle:

Does your MTB have suspension all round? If so, that can be horribly energy sapping and add oodles of weight. Maybe you'd be best keeping that for the rough stuff and get a lighter, skinnier tyred hybrid for the roads (or does your commute take you through the woods)?

OP
OP
S

siobhan

I live in Sheffield, which unfortunately has a lot of hills. My commute is all roads, theres a big hill towards the end (gentle incline, then steeper) which I can't manage yet without stopping, its only been six weeks so far, though. I just go through the woods for fun :biggrin:
I guess my budget would be up to £200 maximum.
My current bike doesn't have any suspension, it has quite fat tyres with big treads on.
I don't even know what size bike I'd need, I'm 5'6".

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd maybe look to change the tyres for less knobbly ones? Not slicks, but perhaps some rougher hybrid tyres, like a 35mm - be a lot cheaper than a new bike! I am not sure a £200 bike would truly give you much more :smile:

albion

Guru
That Muddyfox Flo at sportsdirect is as good as you can get for £140.

Its what I consider are better 21 speed Shimano EZ Fire trigger gears.

A triple changer on the front mean a far wider top and bottom gear than a 5 speed single.

There is also that one Mirani Zone HT 700C at £150 if you google with EZ Fire too, plus front shocks.

Decathalon is a more reputable for bikes. If visiting Sports Direct be aware its almost still all cheap garbage.

Cheap steel bikes also weigh a ton so certainly stick with alloy.

OP
OP
S

siobhan

I forgot to add it needs to be light, because I have to carry it up and down 2 flights of stairs.
Thanks for the help everyone. There is a Decathlon in Sheffield, I might go and have a look next weekend :biggrin:

aberal

Guru
If you are in Sheffield and are out next weekend looking for bikes, then I would also suggest that you also visit the Edinburgh Bike Coop. One of the best bike shops in the Uk, selling their own brand bikes and highly reputable. See here.

Top Bottom