Bike buying advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Suddabym

So I’m looking too buy a road bike through the bike too work scheme. I’ve watched hundreds of YouTube videos and still can’t decide what too buy as there are just too many too choose from. I currently have decathlon triban 3 which is great but it looks old and a bit battered. Looking for a road bike around £1000 I don’t want it for long distance rides. Need too be able too change tyres so I can use it in the summer and winter Any ideas please ??

So I’m looking too buy a road bike through the bike too work scheme. I’ve watched hundreds of YouTube videos and still can’t decide what too buy as there are just too many too choose from. I currently have decathlon triban 3 which is great but it looks old and a bit battered. Looking for a road bike around £1000 I don’t want it for long distance rides. Need too be able too change tyres so I can use it in the summer and winter Any ideas please ??

Giant contend. Or Boardman .

vickster

Legendary Member
What can you get in your size from a local retailer that will take your C2W scheme.
if It’s for all weather use, commuting, make sure it takes full length fixed mudguards with min 28mm tyres.
There’s little point looking at videos, go to local shops, see what they have, sit on them, even better test ride.
Your 1k won’t go nearly as far in terms of spec as it would have done 2 or 3 years ago. You may just about get mechanical disc brakes. Might be best to get the best frame and you can upgrade or change components over time as you see fit.
Trek have good frames and their entry level roadbikes seem a bit more available than many

You seem to have liked your Triban bike so perhaps another Triban if they do the scheme. Maybe you could list your options here and we could highlight any good or bad points about those bikes. Halfords offer fantastic value typically and are always worth considering.

Sadly bikes have gone up in price and £1000 might just stretch to a 105 equipped CF road bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
What spec are you looking for other than tyre clearance. Disc brakes better for that than rim brakes

monkers

Veteran
This rather smart looking Orbea looks rather decent if disc brakes are a preference.

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...h60-d-road-bike-2021-in-military-green__17321

... and it's got a nice 10% discount too.

Avant H60-D.jpg

This rather smart looking Orbea looks rather decent if disc brakes are a preference.

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...h60-d-road-bike-2021-in-military-green__17321

... and it's got a nice 10% discount too.

Gorgeous colour scheme but Claris on a road bike of that price. I remember buying a Claris road bike from Tesco Direct for £62. Vertigo Carnaby model. Just before the pandemic you could get end of season Giant Contends with Claris for £399. I just can't get my head around Claris for about a grand. Don't get me wrong Claris is a great entry level groupset but you can get a Boardman with a good CF frame and fork for £1100 today with Shimano 105. Orbea don't make their own frames either they are reliant on an Asian manufacturer just like Boardman. The Halford's factory to retailer direct business model means amazing value compared to Orbea.

monkers

Veteran
Gorgeous colour scheme but Claris on a road bike of that price. I remember buying a Claris road bike from Tesco Direct for £62. Vertigo Carnaby model. Just before the pandemic you could get end of season Giant Contends with Claris for £399. I just can't get my head around Claris for about a grand. Don't get me wrong Claris is a great entry level groupset but you can get a Boardman with a good CF frame and fork for £1100 today with Shimano 105. Orbea don't make their own frames either they are reliant on an Asian manufacturer just like Boardman. The Halford's factory to retailer direct business model means amazing value compared to Orbea.

All true, bikes like the Trek Domane can be bought for less. This has pretty good kerb appeal though, disc brakes and an integrated cockpit, if that's a consideration. I rather like it, and it's in the ball park money wise. I did link to Tiagra equipped bike for just £779 beforehand, which looks pretty good value though on rim brakes.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Not sure whereabouts in Hull you are, but worth calling into Vive le Velo at Ferriby. Last time I was in there they had quite a few bikes in stock, there maybe something there that suits & you can't beat actually looking at bikes in the flesh & trying them out :okay:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
There's not too many to choose from in reality there's hardly any stock about, you will have to go with whats available in your size. Just look at the bike shops in your area, Halfords and Ribble and Dolan, Merlin etc.

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

Not sure whereabouts in Hull you are, but worth calling into Vive le Velo at Ferriby. Last time I was in there they had quite a few bikes in stock, there maybe something there that suits & you can't beat actually looking at bikes in the flesh & trying them out :okay:
Didn’t even know that was there thank you :-)

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

You seem to have liked your Triban bike so perhaps another Triban if they do the scheme. Maybe you could list your options here and we could highlight any good or bad points about those bikes. Halfords offer fantastic value typically and are always worth considering.

Sadly bikes have gone up in price and £1000 might just stretch to a 105 equipped CF road bike.
Too be honest I don’t have a shortlist there’s literally so many bikes out there it’s all confusing what with all the different cassettes and 105 sora etc think I’m gonna have too research what is best at my price :-)

vickster

Legendary Member
Too be honest I don’t have a shortlist there’s literally so many bikes out there it’s all confusing what with all the different cassettes and 105 sora etc think I’m gonna have too research what is best at my price :-)
Go try them out, focus on the frame, fit and colour for now. You can’t change those. Components next

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

The giant contend ar 3 looks nice also specialized Allez looks good too. And love the look of the Merida scultura

Last edited:
Top Bottom