Bike buying advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
All my bikes now have decent hydraulic disc brakes and the only maintenance I tend to do is swap the pads when they wear out. Turning the bike upside down is no problem, even if you have air in the system once the bike is the right way up with the wheel back in a couple of pulls on the brake sorts it out.

Worth test riding one to see how you get on as some people prefer the lower power and feel of rim brakes.
I briefly test rode a road bike with Ultegra disc brakes recently, and found no difference in braking performance between this and my existing road bike with Ultegra rim brakes, except that in the latter, I didn't have to pull the levers as far for braking to occur.

Kajjal

Guru
I briefly test rode a road bike with Ultegra disc brakes recently, and found no difference in braking performance between this and my existing road bike with Ultegra rim brakes, except that in the latter, I didn't have to pull the levers as far for braking to occur.

You must not be a 100kg bronzed Adonis of cycling like myself :smile:

It’s best to test the difference for yourself to see what works best for individual riders. I come from mountain biking and find rim brakes poor in comparison, my previous road bike had ultegra rim brakes which lacked power and feel for me. My current bike has Ultegra disc brakes which once set up properly work very well for me with very sharp controlled braking even on looser surfaces if I need it.

Top Bottom