Bike camera: micro sd card showing less

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ellis456

Hi all,

I got my 7 day shop bike camera today and stuck in my sandisc 8gb micro sd card, it showed as 7.4gb if I remember, anyway I formatted the cars and now all that shows up is that it's capacity is 7gb?, iv'e double checked the ebay page and they have no negatives and says it's a genuine card or my money back. Was wondering where the other few odd mb has gone?.

Thanks.

sheddy

Legendary Member

OP
OP
Ellis456

Ellis456

Yes, but I bought the card separately, I've just formatted the card again and now it's down to 6gb!!!!!, this card is a sandisk 8gb, this is being done with the camera connected with the card in it.

Thanks.

Computers measure in units of 1024 (binary 2 to the power 10).
Manufactures work in units of 1000.
8000000000 /(1024 x x 1024 x 1024) = 7.4
The rest is lost as a result of formatting.
If your pc sees the camera as an external drive then right click Computer and select manager, find the camera drive in disk management and delete any partitions on it and then reformat

Via sd formatter and windows format utility.

Thanks.

So you are using exFAT with the "Format Size Adjustment" set to "Yes"?

From the SD Formatter manual is the following:

SD Formatter Manual said:
Format Size Adjustment
If the formatted capacity of the card is not a multiple of capacity in a cylinder, some hosts may not
access the card successfully. This option adjusts formatted capacity to a multiple of capacity in a
cylinder.
OFF:
This option does not adjust the formatted capacity. Usually, this option should be selected.
ON:
This option adjusts the formatted capacity to a multiple of capacity in a cylinder. This option may
reduce the formatted capacity.
This option should be used by specific users who encountered a trouble with formatted capacity.

I have never used SD Formatter so I cannot be sure but you could try deleting the partitions and then creating a FAT partition in Windows, not SD Formatter (or try turning "Format Size Adjustment" off).

Just a thought

OP
OP
Ellis456

Ellis456

Thanks I tried your advice and still showing 6.99gb. I think because the card is in the camera and conected to my pc maybe that is using some memory?, I will get one of them usb car readers if I cant solve this today.

OP
OP
Ellis456

Ellis456

Sorry I meant 5.99, thats whats showing now, this is crazy, im just doing a full format to see what that will do. I hope this isnt a fake 8gb card(6gb in disguise).

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I have 3 8GB Cards all formatted to FAT32 on Windows

Sandisk Ultra Used: 32 KB Free: 7.39 GB Kingston Class 4 Used: 32 KB Free 7.40 GB Toshiba Class 4 Used: 32 KB Free: 7.41GB

OP
OP
Ellis456

Ellis456

Thanks^, so my card must be duff then, just finished doing a full format and now it says 5.40gb, I give up. i've emailed the seller and awaiting a repsonse and posted on the sandisk forum.

Really ruined my day this and may now have wasted the money on a fake card!.

If it's a 6gb card how come it showed as 7gb after the first format ?

Might be something screwy with the camera.
Got sd cards in any other cameras you could try?

Top Bottom