Bike Carrier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi folks

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year when it comes.

I'm thinking of buying the following for my car. I did think about one for the roof but I'm too wee to reach up!

Is this any good (I've deliberately chosen one that can take 2 bikes so I can carry a friend's bike if we are out on a cycling trip):

https://www.dalescycles.com/saris-bones-2-bike-boot-rack

Also, is it suitable for a carbon road bike too?

Thanks in advance for your help.

J

Adam4868

Guru
I've a Saris bones and it's suits me fine.Took bikes all over the place France/Ireland with no problems.

Mrs M

Guru
I’ve been looking at the Saris Bones, says will be good fit for our car :smile:
However, one review said their bumper was dented by the carrier with the weight of two bikes on it, same car as ours, review put me off :sad:

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
I’ve been looking at the Saris Bones, says will be good fit for our car :smile:
However, one review said their bumper was dented by the carrier with the weight of two bikes on it, same car as ours, review put me off :sad:

What kind of car have you got?

Adam4868

Guru
I usually take my bike on holiday or across to my in-laws in Ireland so boot is rammed full.Ive took a few bikes in various cars,Saab,Yaris,current Honda accord without any problems on the saris bones.I usually use a bit of pipe lagging over top tube and bungee straps to stop pedals handlebar moving about.

Tailendman

Regular
Saris Bones was a popular rack, but as people have pointed out it can damage the car. Also it is not compatible with a growing number of cars as the aerodynamic roof spoilers made from plastic are not a good mix. Normally the straps run to the top edge of tailgate to take most of the weight.
Also carbon bikes are particularly susceptible to damage from the frame clamping.
https://auxtail.com/about/carbon-clamping/

vickster

Legendary Member
I usually stick my bike in the back of the car with the seats folded down but I'm thinking if I'm on a trip and there are others there, I can take my bike plus another person's bike :-)
You can anyway, just lay a blanket or similar between then, heaviest bike on bottom. Take front wheels off

Top Bottom