Bike Carrier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
At worst you can strip all the wheels off and easily get two bikes in a Focus. An old blanket between saves damage and tangling. And when I had a Saris Bones my mpg went from 34 to 28.

Tim Hall

You can anyway, just lay a blanket or similar between then, heaviest bike on bottom. Take front wheels off
But once removed, don't forget to put the wheels in the car, rather than leave them leaning forlornly against the front of your house.

the_craig

Über Member
Bump!

So I got a Saris Bones Solo but I’ve not used it yet as I’m waiting on straps coming to secure the front wheel/fork and pedals/rear wheel.

Although it touches the back of the car with the pedal so my question is this - what have you used to protect your car body from the pedals? I was thinking about modifying a piece of pipe lagging to cover the pedal and provide a bit of cushioning from any potential bumping.

Adam4868

Guru
Bump!

So I got a Saris Bones Solo but I’ve not used it yet as I’m waiting on straps coming to secure the front wheel/fork and pedals/rear wheel.

Although it touches the back of the car with the pedal so my question is this - what have you used to protect your car body from the pedals? I was thinking about modifying a piece of pipe lagging to cover the pedal and provide a bit of cushioning from any potential bumping.
I usually secure bike on my saris with pipe lagging as you say,put it over top tube aswell.I either use bungee straps or old inner tubes to extra secure pedals/wheels ect.

the_craig

Über Member
I usually secure bike on my saris with pipe lagging as you say,put it over top tube aswell.I either use bungee straps or old inner tubes to extra secure pedals/wheels ect.

Cheers.

So would you put the securing straps over the lagging as well as the top tube?

I’ve ordered these (http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/silverline-2-5m-x-25mm-buckled-straps-2pc-set) to secure the wheels. I know it may be overkill but I want to be sure that the front wheel in particular isn’t going to move.

Adam4868

Guru
Cheers.

So would you put the securing straps over the lagging as well as the top tube?

I’ve ordered these (http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/silverline-2-5m-x-25mm-buckled-straps-2pc-set) to secure the wheels. I know it may be overkill but I want to be sure that the front wheel in particular isn’t going to move.
I usually put pipe lagging over top tube then fix with the supplied loop/strap.Then I either use bungee/elastic straps (or old inner tubes) to tie the bikee securely.As in stopping wheels/crank ect moving and handlebars turning ect.Hope that sort of makes sense.Ive taken bikes all over france/ireland ect and never had a problem.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I have the Saris Bones 3 and with my particular car nothing from the rearmost bike touches the vehicle, but it did come with two extra strappies that I connect together and use to secure the front wheel to the frame so it doesn't turn. Just make sure you have the upper arms set at the proper angle, not too high and not too low (if you don't have your instructions their website has a diagram).

Top Bottom