Bike carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tank63

im looking at getting a bike carrier. I drive a Skoda Fabia est and even though I can get a bike in the boot I would rather get a cycle carrier. However I don't know what to go for either roof or hang on the boot style. I don't want damage done to my car so which would be best. I would welcome any advice.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I prefer roof racks as it gets the bikes out of the way and I regularly carry 4.

Remember with a boot rack you'll need at least an extra number plate and possibly a lighting board if your rear lights are obscured.

If you only carry one bike then I'd stick with putting it in the boot. I do that.

KneesUp

Guru
I personally don't like the 'hang on' type - I used a Saris Bones once and it was a faff to set up and didn't feel that secure, albeit it took the two bikes it was designed for and didn't fall off. However, the straps loosened on the relatively short trip (40 miles) I wouldn't want to go a long way with one. It also covered the rear numberplate, so although the (hired) car had no socket for it, it needed a lighting board really. I winged it without one, planning to play the naive card if I was pulled, but I wouldn't want to do it often.

Roof ones are much more secure, but worse for fuel economy and you have to lift the bike higher to get it on.

The 'ideal' solution is a tow ball mounted rack - they're stable, easy to fit, keep the bikes in a relatively good place in terms of aerodynamics - you do need a tow bar, but you need the electrics for many of the strap on racks anyway, and depending on your car you can probably get a secondhand tow bar from a breaker and get an arches mechanic to fit it quite cheaply - I paid a mobile guy £60 to fit mine.

KneesUp

Guru
Obviously you also need to consider if you might want something on the roof at the same time as carrying bikes e.g. if you use a roof box when you go on holiday.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd say there's more risk of damage with either option than putting seats down and sticking in boot.

I have the same car, being able to stick bikes in the boot was the main reason for buying. Followed by the vRS spec :whistle:

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've had a rear carrier and although it always worked fine and the bikes never fell off once, I was never 100% happy with it and I was always conscious that the bikes were slightly wider than the car. I was fortunate that with the design of the car I didn't need an extra light bar or number plate.

I've now got roof bars and a pair of Thule 598 carriers and they're a world better. Takes a couple of minutes to set up, load the bike and I'm on my way. Get where I'm going and the bike is unloaded in seconds. Impact on fuel economy has been negligible too, maybe 5% worse if that.

D

Deleted member 26715

I used to have roof bars but I didn't like having to lift the bike above my head then try to hold it in position whilst I strapped it on. I've now got a Thule towbar one which I think is far better, wouldn't have one of those that are held on by straps over the tailgate.

Tilley

Über Member
I have a Skoda Fabia and would recommend the tow bar mounted carrier. Very secure, and visible whilst driving, also no problem if you are height challenged.

Sixmile

Veteran
im looking at getting a bike carrier. I drive a Skoda Fabia est and even though I can get a bike in the boot I would rather get a cycle carrier. However I don't know what to go for either roof or hang on the boot style. I don't want damage done to my car so which would be best. I would welcome any advice.

Why not go for both? I've a Seasucker Mini Bomber and it can be mounted on various places on almost any car. I've been using it for 18 months now with little to no issues. When you change car, least you know it'll fit your next one too!

Tailendman

Regular
The tailgate mounted rely on straps around the frame of the door. I think if you are worried about paint/panel damage then they should be avoided. Car manufacturer's do not sell them, and lots of newer cars really aren't compatible due to large plastic roof spoilers.
The roof is a bit better, but probably best to invest in the manufacturer's cross rails as they will be tuned and tested to fit without damage. Biggest problem is if you forget they are there.
Best is at the rear on a towbar, but it is a big investment.

Top Bottom