Bike carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Another vote for towbar. Only downside is they are expensive to get fitted if your car doesn't already have one. Roof bars no good for me - I am too short and have a dodgy shoulder making lifting my bike over my head impossible

Tailendman

Regular
I agree towing can put a great strain on clutches and transmissions. It is noteworthy that most lease schemes do not allow towbars, probably because of this concern.

D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 5022929, member: 45"]There's also the downside when selling the car on of potential buyers being concerned about what the car has been pulling.[/QUOTE]
Seriously? you would take that into consideration, to me it's a plus as it means I don't have to put one on

Adam4868

Guru
Always used a Saris bones,never had any problems and take bikes over to France and Ireland all the time.I always put a bit of old inner tube over the metal stays that are in contact with car and a couple of bungee straps just to make sure !

Tailendman

Regular
Just noted someone recommended the seasucker. Vacuum type carriers are not really suitable for carrying bikes. I sit on the British Standard committee and they are suggesting to outlaw. I haven't seen the case studies, but I think you cannot rely on a vacuum. Probably works 99% of the time, but that just isn't good enough and you are responsible for a safe load.
There is a small guide available here which explains the options a but more.https://auxtail.com/about-cycle-carriers/

Top Bottom