Bike chain lengthening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
So say you were tired and you shortened the wrong end of a Campag 11 speed chain, can you reattach it and shorten the other length?

Say you tried to reattach it with the ultra link provided but it snapped before inserting the rivet?

And, just for arguments sake of course, say you had a shimano 11 speed chain and shortened the right end, but shortened it too much - can it be lengthened again?

I guess the only way you could make this work is to use a couple of KMC quick-links and a bit of the chain you cut off. I never have much success with those "push it in so it is flush" kind of rivets. Chains are supposed to be standard size, after all, whatever the make.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Blimey @Tin Pot really living up to the username. Were you planning on attempting to get one correct length chain out of a mix of campag and shimano? Personally I would be ok with running 2 quick links on a chain, but not so comfortable about mixing the chain manufacturer's.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Okay, so I can't use the rivets I have, I have to buy new ultra links for the Campag , and quick links for he Shimano?

Top Bottom