Bike chain lube, chainsaw oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Definitely a division of opinion here :smile:

Maybe i'll use this stuff.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/weldtite-tf2-performance-oil/rp-prod5960

A bit runny so have to be careful bringing a freshly oiled bike inside, but i do quite like it.

Already use the small refillable bottles.

Also have the impression that one of wilco's oils is kinda similar.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Why wouldn't I?

I'm a cyclist. Plan to live a fair while yet. Largely due to cycling probably. Weldtite sell litres of chain oil.

Edit, this is the stuff, £3.84 a litre
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+&+Sprays/sd2795/Chainsaw+Oil/p36322
I don't think that price per litre is a very useful measure when describing something which is used one drop at a time. And if it's going to take you the rest of your life to use it up then the economy of scale doesn't make sense either.

But it's probably fine to use on your chain.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Within reason, I suspect any old oil will do . But have you not got (say) car engine oil in the house anyway? That's what I use because I have a gallon of the wrong grade for my car. When it runs out in about 200 years I'll have to consider alternatives, maybe the oil for the car I actually do have.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I don't think that price per litre is a very useful measure when describing something which is used one drop at a time. And if it's going to take you the rest of your life to use it up then the economy of scale doesn't make sense either.

But it's probably fine to use on your chain.
I don't agree. Price per litre, or 100ml orvwhatever, sounds perfectly sensible.
And no probs it lasting as far as i can see. I like to simplify things these days. Settle on something that works, use the time saved from discussing supposed new advances/new products by doing more cycling :smile:

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Within reason, I suspect any old oil will do . But have you not got (say) car engine oil in the house anyway? That's what I use because I have a gallon of the wrong grade for my car. When it runs out in about 200 years I'll have to consider alternatives, maybe the oil for the car I actually do have.
In short no. I destroyed my two previous forms of personal motorised transport, vespa scooter, car. Just bikes from here on in.

Venod

Eh up
It is so thick that I'm surprised that it manages to penetrate into the parts of the chain that it needs to!

I put mine in a small oil can mixed with white spirits, the white spirits cleans the crap out of the chain and helps the oil into the links, entirely my own theory.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Price per litre, or 100ml orvwhatever, sounds perfectly sensible.
But those are not the same. 100ml of chainsaw oil costs the same as a litre.

Top Bottom