Bike chain maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
degreaser,water, spray on GT55, apply wet lube, wipe off
spray on some GT55 before I ride
I was thinking of getting the muc off chain cleaning tool.
For me:
1) I assume you're using the GT85 for its hydrophobic qualities to get rid of spare water. Fine, but wipe off before applying wet lube, or the GT85 will dilute that and reduce its adherence. I'd agree a good wipe off after the wet lube, before riding (reduces the oil spraying quite so much over chainstay and rim).
2) Don't spray GT85 on before each ride. Why are you doing that? What function do you think the GT85 is fulfilling? I'd say it will just clear away some of the useful if dirty lube on the chain. A quick application of more lube, and wipe, will refresh your chain's lubrication. I often use GT85 on my cassette immediately after a wet ride to minimise the oxidation (eg overnight)
3) There are one or two on here who think their chain cleaning tool is the bee's knees. There are many more (and I am one) who think they are far more trouble than benefit. I was bought one once (at Christmas!) and used it once. It may clean the chain but you use more fluid to do so (which should be disposed off in an environmentally friendly way) and you are left with the dirty 'toool' which itself is a b****r to clean, so a time sink as opposed to a time saver.
HTH

Last edited:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
My scientifically proven beyond any reasonable doubt rule of the thumb is if a chain leaves a mark on the palm of your hand after lubing and wiping then you need some more wiping.

silva

Über Member
From what I've experienced, dry and gritty is the most abusing drivetrain components.
So when it looks dry, I remove as much grit I can (wipe, toothbrush), apply plenty oil, then after every ride I wipe off the surfaced black oil. Until it again looks dry, which is usually after some rainy days.

Drago

Legendary Member
what lube/oil is the best for the chains? Noob here, thank you!
Every rider will give a different answer, and theyre all correct. No single lube is perfect - they all have strengths and weaknesses, and only you can say at what point on the scale rests the perfect compromise for yourself.

Ultimately it doesn't matter greatly what lube you use, just so long as the drivetrain is kept moderately clean and there is actually some lube on there.

Reactions: C R
gonna need some maintenance ...

ACTP0725.JPG

Drago

Legendary Member
gonna need some maintenance ...

View attachment 562099
Perhaps you could start a thread about chain mainetenance?

Perhaps you could start a thread about chain maintenance?
lol, finally took a look at it after my storm ride Saturday. took it off, rinsed it in mineral spirits, inspected the links w/ a straw brush & pipe cleaners, dried it out & lubed it w/ discretion using s straw attached to a drip bottle (new for me). while it was drying I brushed & wiped down the rest of the drivetrain. it had picked up a good deal of sand, I guess from the slushy mud puddles, but also from riding on the back of my car (photo to follow). last year I promised myself I would buy (& use) this chain cover bag. just ordered it

IMG_6021.JPG

IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6022.JPG

Saturday featured a 2-part ride, where between the 2 rides I drove around my small town w/ the bike on the back. I only gave it a slight check after knocking this stuff off it & had a bad time with chain-suck. I think once it rides on the car, it's done for the day

Attachments

• IMG_6025.JPG
    IMG_6025.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Top Bottom