Bike cleaning advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beastie

Guru
It should happen to be a sunny afternoon, and you are cleaning the drive train of a new (2nd hand) bike which is minging to the extreme, and you have Spent 45 mins restoring it to former glories. It only needs a rinse and relube. Your young daughter meanwhile is playing in her sandpit, which happens to be adjacent to the bike stand.

When you rinse your handiwork down, next time you will be sure to notice the 2 or3 spades worth of sand she has sneaked into the bucket of water you will be using for said rinse.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Thanks - that's a good warning as my daughter's sandpit is right next to where I usually clean my bike...

oldroadman

Veteran
Use a hose to gently rinse the thing down? Or a watering can. More accurate than buckets, sponges, and the like. And avoids children problems (you can squirt the hose at 'em if they get too close, they may even enjoy it!).

OP
OP
beastie

beastie

Guru
Use a hose to gently rinse the thing down? Or a watering can. More accurate than buckets, sponges, and the like. And avoids children problems (you can squirt the hose at 'em if they get too close, they may even enjoy it!).

It will be the watering can next time.

oldroadman

Veteran
Jet wash = bearing penetration. Which will not be a problem until things start to seize up.
Pro team mechanics won't use 'em, and they will take every possible short cut with so many bikes to clean every day in a stage race. The resaoning is sound, it's better to take a couple of minutes more washing gently, than spend 30 minutes replacing bearings.
That said, at CX they get jet washed but the better guys keep the pressure directed away from bearings, it's mostly frame and rims that get the treatment, and then later a proper clean. In any case, cross bikes get stripped a lot simply because of all the mud and sand that does get in everywhere.

Lee_M

Guru
Jet wash = bearing penetration. Which will not be a problem until things start to seize up.
Pro team mechanics won't use 'em, and they will take every possible short cut with so many bikes to clean every day in a stage race. The resaoning is sound, it's better to take a couple of minutes more washing gently, than spend 30 minutes replacing bearings.
That said, at CX they get jet washed but the better guys keep the pressure directed away from bearings, it's mostly frame and rims that get the treatment, and then later a proper clean. In any case, cross bikes get stripped a lot simply because of all the mud and sand that does get in everywhere.

Have you not seen all those documentaries about SKY lately? Lots and lots of shots of bikes being cleaned with a jet washer

screenman

Legendary Member
It is not the tool that does the damage but the tool holding the tool. So I would say those that do not use a jet wash do not know how to.

oldroadman

Veteran
Have you not seen all those documentaries about SKY lately? Lots and lots of shots of bikes being cleaned with a jet washer
Yep, frame tubes and wheel rims, but not into bearings, and remember it's a tel programme. jet washers look a bit dramatic. No mechanic in any team I was involved with would use one, then I'm getting on a bit and there were not many power washers about. Having seen what it des removing crud from my driveway and patio, I wouldn't go hear a bearing point with one!
They didn't show the bit where the team mechanic uses diesel as a transmission lube, I'll bet, but it works very well and penetrates chains nicely.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I like to keep my jetwash for my patio and pond filters. TBH i've never considered the pros and cons of using it on my bikes, I just dont let them get dirty enough to warrant using one. :angel: Warm bucket full of car wash and a random baby wipe for most parts, but have some old towels for the drive train.

Lee_M

Guru
like oldroadman says they are crap for bearings, but no ned to point them there.

motorcycle forums always have the same dire warnings, but Iv used a jet wash on my bikes since they first came out and never had to change a bearing

Top Bottom