Bike Cleaning Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not maintenance in the strict sense, but...

I'm trying to rescue a wreck: it's a good frame with some broken components. However, I don't seem to be able to shift the dirt. The whole bike has muck like this on the paint:

20230104_093001(0).jpg

I've hit this with everything I can find in the company cleaning cupboard including WD40; bike cleaner; hot soapy water; tile cleaner; cleaning alcohol; and a scrubbing sponge. The only thing I haven't tried is bleach, pan scourer, and turps or nitro cellulose. If I can shift it I can probably sell the bike for about 20€ more so it would be worth the effort.

Has anyone else dealt with a similar problem? How did you shift the stuff?

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Not maintenance in the strict sense, but...

I'm trying to rescue a wreck: it's a good frame with some broken components. However, I don't seem to be able to shift the dirt. The whole bike has muck like this on the paint:

View attachment 673382

I've hit this with everything I can find in the company cleaning cupboard including WD40; bike cleaner; hot soapy water; tile cleaner; cleaning alcohol; and a scrubbing sponge. The only thing I haven't tried is bleach, pan scourer, and turps or nitro cellulose. If I can shift it I can probably sell the bike for about 20€ more so it would be worth the effort.

Has anyone else dealt with a similar problem? How did you shift the stuff?
That’s Patina , you can charge extra for that . ……. Sorry no helpful suggestions.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
700c up to med tyre may work. You may even get the brake blocks to align.

27.5 is 700C. Just a marketing term for a wider rim (& historically, 'C' designated a wide rim and a bigger tyre, hence 700C sometimes being referred to as 28").

27.5 is 700C. Just a marketing term for a wider rim (& historically, 'C' designated a wide rim and a bigger tyre, hence 700C sometimes being referred to as 28").

27.5 is 650B, the old French utility/touring wheel usually shod with 1.5" tyre. It had a boutique revival in the US touring community then was taken up by the MTB industry as their " small" wheel when the 29" ( which IS 700c) proved too big for some riders after abandoning the perfectly good 26" MTB size.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
27.5 is 650B, the old French utility/touring wheel usually shod with 1.5" tyre. It had a boutique revival in the US touring community then was taken up by the MTB industry as their " small" wheel when the 29" ( which IS 700c) proved too big for some riders after abandoning the perfectly good 26" MTB size.
Sorry, you're right. I was confusing that marketing term with 29er. Must concentrate.

Top Bottom