Bike cleaning ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
All these cleaning methods are all well and good but how do folks stabilise their bikes to do the work?
I guess a bike stand is the answer but not everyone will have one so is it the one handed job on the frame as the other hand cleans...
whenever i stand my bike against anything i usually end up with a desperate lunge to stop it falling as i wipe too hard or the front wheel shoots left or right unexpectedly :whistle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-MECH..._Cycling_Tools_RepairKits&hash=item230d2a53af

If you have the spare cash i can highly recommend the above mate. Before i had that i used to put the bike between 2 dining room chairs which were back to back meant doing everything on my knees but used to keep the bike upright and have both hands free to do stuff.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
All these cleaning methods are all well and good but how do folks stabilise their bikes to do the work?
I guess a bike stand is the answer but not everyone will have one so is it the one handed job on the frame as the other hand cleans...
whenever i stand my bike against anything i usually end up with a desperate lunge to stop it falling as i wipe too hard or the front wheel shoots left or right unexpectedly :whistle:

I use this type of hook (i bend them into shape) and hang the bike from the ceiling of the garage by the saddle and stem.

http://www.onestopdiy.com/red-wall-...ity-tool-storage-with-rawl-plugs-pack-10.html

You can often buy them in wilko's in packs.

Crankarm

Guru
Park PCS10 cycle stand £90. Worth it's weight in gold AFAIAC.

Cleaning regime for chains,

• Nitrile gloves
  • Car Pride 151 engine degreaser comes in 750ml cans £1.99 each. Spray on chain, sprockets placed in a large tin foil tray inside a washing up bowl which is used only for cleaning bike parts. An assortment of brushes nail brush, tooth brush washing up brush. Gets all oil, grease, crud, etc off in seconds leaving chain sparkling like new. You will be amazed. Use only in a well ventillated area and with double nitrile gloves.
  • Rinse and wash in warm WUL and rinse again with cold water in a bucket, thoroughly. Air dry and dry briefly in fan oven set to min 50C to get bone dry.
  • Re-lube clean and dry chain by passing through bath of lube submerging it as you go. Repeat in opposite direction, then hang chain, eg over a tap, with bath of lube beneath to catch drops of lube.
  • Come next morning fit the clean and re-lubed chain to bike which takes 2 minutes using a SRAM quick link.
Obviously for cassettes and individuals sprockets and chain rings you only need clean (de-grease), rinse and dry. Jockey wheels clean and re-grease the bearings if necessary.

Top Bottom