Bike cleaning ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geo

Dropped into my LBS yesterday, and amongst other things got talking about cleaning and what lube I use. Anyway the outcome and recommendation from the shop was to do away with all lubes and clean the drive gear with diesel hose it down dry off and leave it at that, the idea being diesel is oil based fuel and after a coiuple of cleans with diesel the drive gear will be gleaming with enough residual oil from the diesel to act as a lubricant. Anyone ever heard of this or have any views on the idea ?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Not sure I'd like the idea of washing all that pollution down the drain if it were me.

OP
OP
G

geo

Not sure I'd like the idea of washing all that pollution down the drain if it were me.

A fair point mate, I'd not even considered that. Its just the idea of cleaning my bike in diesel that I find difficult to get my head around, although in theory it sounds very logical as diesel is infact oil based.

But yes I'm sure the local environment agency wouldnt be too impressed

mattobrien

Guru
Why would you wash it down the drain ?

I wouldn't want to stick it in the car having been used to wash the grime and grit off the drive chain.

Not really sure how you could dispose of it in a safe and environmentally friendly way after use. Not suggesting that using it for fuel is environmentally friendly either.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I went through a vigorous process of cleaning both my bikes and lubing the chain up for the first time ever.I had seen a video online so this is what I did:
  1. Spray a kitchen degreaser onto the chain. Ensure that it is fully covered as well as the chainrings and cassette.
  2. Use a small paintbrush to get the degreaser between cogs on the cassette.
  3. Hose the chain down.
  4. Use a rag to wipe the whole chain.
  5. Lube by putting the nozzle of the bottle on the chain on the cassette end, then pedal backwards ensuring that there is lube on the whole chain but not too much.
  6. Lube the small cogs on the hanger.
  7. Get a rag and wipe the chain once more. There should be a small amount of oil left on it.
  8. Use the rag to wipe any residual lube off the chainrings and cassette.
  9. Ensure lube it in the chain properly by pedalling backwards a few times and that it runs smooth.
It was the first time I tried this and it worked a treat. I was amazed at how much gunk was coming off when I first used the degreaser.

oldroadman

Veteran
Team mechanics used to use degreaser, a stiff brush to get the mjor crud off, a hose to flush it all away, then diesel on a rag to wipe over the drive train. Works very well and a small container can last a whole stage race, so disposal is just sticking filthy rags in a plastic bag. One told me they simply burn them in their solid fuel boiler at the service course later. Diesel really works because it's light enough to penetrate, and not using too much (via the rag), means any smell soon disappears. A peloton in a pro race does not smell of diesel, it's far less pleasant than that at times!

Top Bottom