Bike cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Mild washing up liquid and an old rag is all you need.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Not really, washing up liquid has salt in it, which corrodes stuff.

Does anyone know how long it would take for this to happen out of interest ? I would of thought as its safe for us humans it would be ok for bike chains ?

For the OP i have one on my motorbike and think they are crap tbh. Its the 2nd bike ive owned with one on it neither have been purchased by me but i wouldnt buy one. Others may have had a better experience with them though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Washing up liquid just strips off wax on the paint off the car or bike. That's it. Best avoided though, as having a wax or Mr Sheen layer on the bike makes cleaning a doddle.

As for chains on a bike. An oily rag is all you need (read old t-shirts for us messy blokes). They work, and I've used them even before the internet was invented.

Don't use degreasers. If the chain is that bad, bin it. Even on MTB's - hose off the chain, and rinse the dirt out. Oil it. Let soak. Wipe (this means rubbing the old t-shirt over the links for a few minutes). Then wipe over the chainset. As for the sprockets, fold an edge in said rag, and run it up and down through each sprocket - can be done on the bike !

Blooming works. I never use a chain cleaner device. Anyone want a shot of my sprockets ? ^_^

I use the same method on all the bikes in the family, from cheaper stuff up to Ultegra/XT and Dura Ace (and this includes MTB's) No chain devices, just a rag, and oil. I also use this on friends bikes that appear in a mess for me to fix ! ^_^

sabian92

Über Member
Does anyone know how long it would take for this to happen out of interest ? I would of thought as its safe for us humans it would be ok for bike chains ?

For the OP i have one on my motorbike and think they are crap tbh. Its the 2nd bike ive owned with one on it neither have been purchased by me but i wouldnt buy one. Others may have had a better experience with them though.

I know it ruins chains quite quickly. It's also got enough salt in it so that it causes swirls on paintwork (which to be fair is more noticeable on a car). I personally avoid it for everything barring doing the dishes :laugh:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Not really, washing up liquid has salt in it, which corrodes stuff.

A mild solution of washing up liquid is not going to melt the bike. After all, there is far more salt on winter roads than there is in washing up liquid.

Besides, whilst cleaning my steel bike earlier I noticed some light rust around the steerer/ stem interface caused by dripping sweat.

Guess there's more sinister corrosives than washing up liquid

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Bike cleaning is a very emotive subject, some folks are very particular and clean the bike after every ride, some like myself do it when I feel like it, which is not very often!! Same goes for cleaning products and cleaning chains. I personally give the chain a quick rub with a rag and lightly re-lube after each ride (little and often) is my mantra for chain care and when things get very gloopy, spray chain with degreaser then hose off. I don't go for all the fuss about not degreasing, perfectly safe as long as you allow it to dry fully before re-lubing, a good blast with GT85 will disperse and residue moisture prior to re-lube but make sure you allow time for the GT85 to evaporate before re-lube. As for the bike frame etc, good heavy dose with muck-off, hose off then drry the bike, simple!! However, this is for steel/aluminium not carbon fibre, no idea what magic formula you need for this mystical material? As for muck off etc stripping off the polish, show me a bike that has polish and I will show you my a**. Lacquer yes, polish no and it would have to be one hell of a cleaner to strip that off. My advise is dont sweat the small stuff over bike cleaning, it won't fall apart on you and ive used this "lazy" approach to bike cleaning for years, even my Colnagos get the same minimal attention and all still look great, dirt, stone chips and scratches show the bike is used as intended and in my opinion, add character. The end.

Top Bottom