How pristine is your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Full clean every weekend without fail. Yes bikes are there to be enjoyed, I enjoy riding mine with it looking its best. Marks and scratches will happen through use but riding with it all caked up is avoidable.

I am sorry to say that none of our 4 bikes (2 x mine, 2 x Mrs Salad's) are clean and tidy.

They do get periodic attention to the chains, and my MTB, which is the only one of the 4 that will see mud from time to time, might get a very occasional wash down. But pristine? None of them. Ever.

Sorry, clean bike fans!

ayceejay

Guru
The OP ('member that?) mentioned cables wearing away paint on the stem and I think a lot of damage can be prevented with donuts on long cable stretches (top tube for instance) and protective patches on chainstay and wherever else a cable touches the frame.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The OP ('member that?) mentioned cables wearing away paint on the stem and I think a lot of damage can be prevented with donuts on long cable stretches (top tube for instance) and protective patches on chainstay and wherever else a cable touches the frame.
Agreed, I use both of those. The transparent, colourless patches are easy to apply and definitely reduce wear on the frame, although with my Vivente tourer, I left putting on the patches about 50,000km too late, so now the poor beastie's covered with nicks and scratches. Still runs silently and smoothly, though ^_^.

tyred

Legendary Member
I always keep my road bikes in pristine condition.
rusty-bike-600x400.jpg

Chain's a bit squeaky and I just can't work out why....

Roadrunner78

I keep mine minted. Winter bike leaves me disheartened but i even clean it once a week between snowy salty commutes. The good bikes see rain but are cleaned after. I have car dealership polish which is waaaay better than the halfords stuff. Means when you wipe the frame and bits over the cloth glides. OCD right? I'm like this with everything tho. Clean!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Cleaned my bike..
Take the wheels off the bike and place the bike on the stand.
rps20130825_123632.jpg
Take a small needle file and clean the muck out of the brake pads, and file them flat to ensure they wear evenly, inspect for damage or embedded grit. (After two rides rotate the front pads with the rear pads)
rps20130825_123754.jpg
Spray the bike with muc-off bike cleaner
http://muc-off.com/en/bicycle/1-bike-cleaner.html?category=bicycle
Spray the chain with muc-off chain cleaner
http://muc-off.com/en/bicycle/7-drivetrain-cleaner.html?category=bicycle
Permit to soak...
Wash the bike with soapy water (car shampoo) starting from the top of the bike working down.
Rinse with warm water with two cap full of polish added to the water, when this drys the polish is deposited on the components.
rps20130825_123924.jpg
When completely dry buff the polish off with a micro fibre cloth.
Remove the jockey wheels
. rps20130825_123726.jpg
Clean the rear mech and jockey wheels, remove the bearings, clean and dry and relube with finish line dry.
rps20130825_123559.jpg
Refit the jockey wheels.
Wash the wheels and inspect the tyres, (check spoke tension and that the wheel is true every forth ride)
Refit the wheels.
Protect the bike using muc-off miracle shine
http://muc-off.com/en/stage-2-protect/23-miracle-shine-polish.html?category=bicycle
Mickle the chain with finish line dry.
That's a clean bike.
rps20130630_121144.jpg
That's what I do after every single ride, I'm not sure if its pristine, but I like to keep my bikes clean.
After 10 rides it gets stripped to a frame set and all bearings checked and lubed.
After 10 rides I swap the chain and soak it to give it a propper clean, its then rinsed in a sonic bath to get all the muck out before being left to dry and being lubed

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
@Mr Haematocrit : you missed the last bit of the description - ring work and tell them where you've been for the last week! :laugh:
I couldn't do that much after every ride. I have no spare time during weekdays, with barely enough time to cook and eat dinner between getting home and going to bed. On Sundays, I'll typically spend about 1.5 hours cleaning the bike (occasionally a bit more), so it's fit for the upcoming week's commuting.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Cleaned my bike..
Take the wheels off the bike and place the bike on the stand.
View attachment 28256
Take a small needle file and clean the muck out of the brake pads, and file them flat to ensure they wear evenly, inspect for damage or embedded grit. (After two rides rotate the front pads with the rear pads)
View attachment 28257
Spray the bike with muc-off bike cleaner
http://muc-off.com/en/bicycle/1-bike-cleaner.html?category=bicycle
Spray the chain with muc-off chain cleaner
http://muc-off.com/en/bicycle/7-drivetrain-cleaner.html?category=bicycle
Permit to soak...
Wash the bike with soapy water (car shampoo) starting from the top of the bike working down.
Rinse with warm water with two cap full of polish added to the water, when this drys the polish is deposited on the components.
View attachment 28258
When completely dry buff the polish off with a micro fibre cloth.
Remove the jockey wheels
. View attachment 28259
Clean the rear mech and jockey wheels, remove the bearings, clean and dry and relube with finish line dry.
View attachment 28260
Refit the jockey wheels.
Wash the wheels and inspect the tyres, (check spoke tension and that the wheel is true every forth ride)
Refit the wheels.
Protect the bike using muc-off miracle shine
http://muc-off.com/en/stage-2-protect/23-miracle-shine-polish.html?category=bicycle
Mickle the chain with finish line dry.
That's a clean bike.
View attachment 28261
That's what I do after every single ride, I'm not sure if its pristine, but I like to keep my bikes clean.
After 10 rides it gets stripped to a frame set and all bearings checked and lubed.
After 10 rides I swap the chain and soak it to give it a propper clean, its then rinsed in a sonic bath to get all the muck out before being left to dry and being lubed[/quote

If i told my bike what kind of pampering yours has he'd sulk forever!:thumbsup:

Top Bottom