How pristine is your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
All 3 are clean... but my clean may not be the same as your clean... [apart from the Secteur Comp that @jayonabike sold on to me which remains as pristine as he kept it ... respect!]

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
What is this 'clean bike' of which you speak?
My commuter is utterly filthy *ashamed*

Herbie

Veteran
No matter how careful I am, my year old Tricross seems to attract scratches and scuffs. From cables wearing away paint on the stem to scratches on hood covers etc. I don't wash my bike every time I go out, mainly because I hate cycling in the rain, but I degrease, clean and oil the chain and moving parts regularly as well as the occasional hose down with Muck Off. My previous bike was a second hand secteur and, despite being a year old it was immaculate, as were the owners other bikes so I presume some people must lavish a lot of care and attention on their machines.

Am I just an average cyclist regarding cleaning and maintenance? Does your bike glisten and gleam in the same perfect state as when it first arrived or does cosmetic appearance not really matter?

My Galaxy is nearly 7 years old but not in the condition when I rode it new from the shop but I keep in a reasonable state considering the service it has given me and it still looks good even with scuffs and stuff you would expect....I intend this bike to last longer than me and have no plans to replace it...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Mine get a going over with baby wipes, chain/components cleaned and re-lubed with Ceramic lube. Everything gets checked over but not taken apart unless necessary.

That's usually enough once a week and is about 60-90 minutes for the lot. I wouldn't have time for anything more!

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I was inwardly delighted when my lbs owner complimented me on the condition of my bike. Outwardly of course I was all cool, "Yeah well, the odd quick rub-down and a splash of lube mate".

I was so happy I bought a pile of stuff I didn't really need and it was only when I was halfway home that it hit me ...

mustang1

Legendary Member
The Allez and Mares are commuters. Allez, being older, has many scratches and stuff. Both bikes are cleaned when they need to be (almost never -to- couple of times a year). The drivetrain is always degreased and cleaned however. I have no problem leaving both bikes in the snow and rain (I never bring them inside). It's not that I dont care about these bikes, but that I use them for their intended purporse (to me). Dont fret about it! If they make a squeeky noise, I squirt some oil in the general direction from which the squeek is coming.

The SuperSix is immaculate. It has only 11 miles on the clock. It is brand new not only in appearance, but because I just haven't used it.

KierenT

Regular
Kept shiny clean - I spend more time washing the bikes than I do my genitals. Full muck-off treatment after every ride, bit of polish, regular chain degreasing and re-greasing. The Haibike cost me close to 3 grand, which means I place more value on it than I do most family members :smooch:

Top Bottom