Bike components - big gains vs marginal gains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is something I am sure we all go thru especially when we are new to cycling or when we decide to upgrade. I have seen folks with expensive groupsets on bikes with stock wheels and tyres. I have also seen expensive stuff on budget or tired frames.

Sometimes it just makes more sense to get a new bike, using the money meant for new gear and selling the old bike. Due to competition and general increase in cycling, good quality bikes with good components are now more affordable. Planet X and Ribble Carbon bikes come to mind. Some CC members have started ordering carbon frames and components from China and they seem to do the job. And there are copies of well known bikes.

On components, we see main stream vendors beginning to sell Groupsets and spare parts meant for workshops and new assembly in loose format and these are cheaper. Often referred to as OEM. Ribble and Evans come to mind.

My sense is that changing the stock wheel provides the biggest gain. You don't even have to go for the expensive range. A £150 Mavic Aksium is huge difference and the next step is probably a marginal upgrade.

outlash

also available in orange
But what if your bike already has Askiums already on it?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why not change the components, there are probably some bikes that hardly have an original peice on them, they are modified as and when to meet the riders desire at the time. It's trying to decide when you get to that point that you should start again with a new bike ... I'm at the pondering stage (and have been for a year or more:whistle:), but the components won't be what will make me decide to buy a bike, I'm going to have to like the frame and the majority of the components in the first place.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My sense is that changing the stock wheel provides the biggest gain. You don't even have to go for the expensive range. A £150 Mavic Aksium is huge difference and the next step is probably a marginal upgrade.

To me the next step up is around the 1k mark . I would say there is a noticeable difference .

winjim

Smash the cistern
So I should sell my bike and buy a budget chinese frame with a set of aksiums and a cheap groupset? :wacko:

moo

None of the gains associated with lower weight components will be measureable until you can't lose any more from the engine (without compromising power).

S.Giles

Was that a question or a lecture?
Was that a question or a (short) lecture? :-)

Maybe someone should organise a double-blind test to find out whether a million pound wheel-set (for example) can really make you go twice as fast. Even if the test result was negative, there would still be a queue waiting to buy lighter-than-air wheels with three spokes and tin-foil rims. It's just the way things are.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Arrowfoot, post: 3608208, member: 18391" ordering carbon frames and components from China and they seem to do the job. And there are copies of well known bikes.[/QUOTE]
There are good unbranded carbon frames made in China but also sub-standard look-a-likes. The problem is knowing which one you have.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
None of the gains associated with lower weight components will be measureable until you can't lose any more from the engine (without compromising power).

That is a load of rubbish.

Was that a question or a (short) lecture? :-)

Maybe someone should organise a double-blind test to find out whether a million pound wheel-set (for example) can really make you go twice as fast. Even if the test result was negative, there would still be a queue waiting to buy lighter-than-air wheels with three spokes and tin-foil rims. It's just the way things are.

No-one expects to go "twice as fast" but if you are denying the performance gains associated with higher end wheels (or other kit and components), you are a long way wide of the mark.

Top Bottom