Bike/components for hilly 90-120 miles per week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajtedd

Hi

I currently have a 2013 boardman road team with bb30 bottom bracket. The bottom bracket dies on me every 750-1000 miles over hilly terrain. This means I end up getting it/the bearings replaced every 7-8 weeks. This is a massive pain and although I really like the bike, it is becoming un-economical and hugely frustrating to constantly have the bike of the road for up to two days whilst it is getting sorted.

I am now looking to replace said bike with something that will be strong over hilly terrain and am looking for an advice or pointers on the best components/bike to go for.

For reference I am a muscular 5ft10, 13.6 stone – 14 stone. I typically ride a 53/54 frame although I am aware that each manufacturer has slightly different sizing guidelines.

I mainly commute but do go for longer rides at weekends. (40-60miles). Hills are unavoidable where I live. I am only in the market for a road bike and I do not want a mountain/hybrid/commuter bike. My budget will be £1500 and I do not want a bike with any sort of press fit bottom bracket.

I have been looking at Chinese carbon with full shimano 105 or ultegra groupset for around that price range but am worried about the quality control of the frameset/wheels etc.

All help and advice is hugely appreciated.

Kind regards

Alex

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Possibly daft question, but why not swap BB/chainset for something harder wearing?

There's a converter allowing the use of a standard threaded unit;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-bb30-conversion-kit/

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It does rather sound like something is seriously out of kilter if you're chewing through bb's that quick. I must have done at least 10000miles on the OE Shimano on my bike and I don't exactly do a lot of maintenance on it (in fact precisely none on the bb). Maybe you or the shop is fitting em wrong, or water is getting in (but not out). Anyhow worth figuring out what the problem is rather than bin the whole bike

OP
OP
A

ajtedd

Possibly daft question, but why not swap BB/chainset for something harder wearing?

There's a converter allowing the use of a standard threaded unit;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-bb30-conversion-kit/

i have looked into conversion kits, notably praxis bb30 converters due to their high durability (and weight). however there are still reports that the creaking and cracking noises will still come back.

The fsa does not have the best reviews on various forums but it something i looked at.

I have no issue buying new cranks as it would save ALOT of hard earned cash but i am concerned it is only a short term fix. do you have any first hand experiences with bb30 converters at all?

OP
OP
A

ajtedd

It does rather sound like something is seriously out of kilter if you're chewing through bb's that quick. I must have done at least 10000miles on the OE Shimano on my bike and I don't exactly do a lot of maintenance on it (in fact precisely none on the bb). Maybe you or the shop is fitting em wrong, or water is getting in (but not out). Anyhow worth figuring out what the problem is rather than bin the whole bike

my trail of thought was that even over hilly terrain, a bb should last more than 700-1000 miles. i called 3 different halfords stores around the uk as they stock boardmans and the general concensus is that the bb30 will start to struggle after 750 miles over hilly terrain which is ridiculous!

i do not use halfords to repair my bike though. the first time i had the bearing replaced i used evans, second and third times i used my lbs.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I thought that, but I've never used BB30...

My Shimano Square Taper on the tourer has roughly 14,000 miles on it, I think the Hollowtech unit on my SCR2 has a couple of thousand. The only maintenance I do is regreasing the threads every other winter.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I should add that mine is not a bb30 but a square taper. That's not to say there''s 'owt wrong with the latter but 750 miles is just silly. I know people who have done that in a week.

OP
OP
A

ajtedd

I should add that mine is not a bb30 but a square taper. That's not to say there''s 'owt wrong with the latter but 750 miles is just silly. I know people who have done that in a week.

indeed - i fully agree. Hence why i have had enough of this rubbish bb! i long for an english thread bb!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I have no issue buying new cranks as it would save ALOT of hard earned cash but i am concerned it is only a short term fix. do you have any first hand experiences with bb30 converters at all?
Sorry, no - it just seems to me that you're writing off an awful lot by effectively junking your bike!

I've no experience of BB30, but I concur with the other posters that 750 miles is far less than I'd expect!

Another alternative might be to replace the frame only (for one with a threaded BB shell, Hollowtech BB & cranks?).

OP
OP
A

ajtedd

Sorry, no - it just seems to me that you're writing off an awful lot by effectively junking your bike!

I've no experience of BB30, but I concur with the other posters that 750 miles is far less than I'd expect!

Another alternative might be to replace the frame only (for one with a threaded BB shell, Hollowtech BB & cranks?).

something else i have looked into. but by the time you have replaced this part then you place that part, you may as well of just got a new bike.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
something else i have looked into. but by the time you have replaced this part then you place that part, you may as well of just got a new bike.
Eh, if you're junking the Boardman, just let me know which day is bin day around yours... ;)

I guess it depends on how you like the rest of the bike - if the answer is "not much", or you want the spares, I suppose a new bike makes more sense than a frame swap.

Top Bottom