Bike/components for hilly 90-120 miles per week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

ajtedd

Eh, if you're junking the Boardman, just let me know which day is bin day around yours... ;)

I guess it depends on how you like the rest of the bike - if the answer is "not much", or you want the spares, I suppose a new bike makes more sense than a frame swap.

i do like the bike but the bb is just killing the enjoyment of riding it. i was thinking about getting the bb replaced then selling it for a good price. try to get a bit of cash back from it to go towards a possible replacement.

NorvernRob

It's worth trying the praxis converters first, my mate changed his recently and thinks it's a much better system than the press in BB30 he took out.

uclown2002

Guru
I've got exactly the same bike with 7K undulating miles on the clock; I've changed BB once at about 3.5K miles. This one is still doing OK.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Can't say I've noticed a problem with the BB30 on my bike (planet X RT57).

Its done > 3000 miles ( & it's not flat round here) in mixed weather, still like new.

Just to echo the others, get the bb changed or converted to something else. If you are desparate to spend more money, I would get another frame and transfer most of the bits over. Something like a genesis equilibrium would suit rather well and it will not be very expensive compared to buying a new frame. You could offset selling the old frame to get some funds back.

OP
OP
A

ajtedd

To those interested, I have decided to go for the fsa converter, ultegra bb and 105 cranks - managed to get a good dealio hence the mix and match shimano components. It is in the shop today, will be finished tomorrow. I will report back and let you know how it goes!

If I still have issues, I am going to try either the wheels bb30 adaptor or praxis works adapter.

Top Bottom