Bike Computer Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doddi

Hi, I have recently bought myself a bike and plan on going out at the weekends. I am needing advice on bike computer as I have no knowledge of them at all. I am only after a cheapish one but it needs to tell me my speed, how many miles I have travelled, where I am and how far I have left to go...advice please?

vickster

Legendary Member
If you want detailed routing and traiining the cost can go up quite a lot into GPS (~£200 for a Garmin 800 say). If you want speed, distance, time a Cateye Velo or similar will do you fine

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Go to a Supermarket if you just want something very basic. Tesco have some I think, plus a few other bike bits you may find interesting.

For basic wireless operation the Btwin COUNT range are very good and great VFM.

As vicksters says though, if you want to know, "where I am and how far I have left to go", then you're getting into GPS units.

The most popular beginner unit* is probably the GARMIN EDGE 200 which offers very simplistic navigation by way of user pre-loaded routes and can be had second hand for around £50 - £60, or new for a lot less then the RRP if you shop around.

*I still use the Edge 200 TBH as it does all I need and then some, so the need to upgrade for me is simply not there, but many do and that's when their 200's get offered in the classifieds HERE :thumbsup:

DRM

Guru
The wired Aldi one is now on special offer, was £4.99 they've dropped the remaining ones to £2.99, for some reason one jumped into our shopping trolley, at least that's what I told SWMBO.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Aldi also have wireless ones this weekend. Worth getting to start with. Have the wired ones on my lads and wife's bikes last 3 years.

Ern1e

Über Member
I got one of the "Bell" ones from Asda a couple of years ago this works quite well for me with just the basic's of speed distance etc plus a clock, at the time it was around £4 or so not sure how much they are now.

Top Bottom