Bike crash: The first things to do in the aftermath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Wouldn't have helped me. Didn't wake up until about 4 hours later, to find myself in hospital with no memory of what happened.

Drago

Legendary Member
As a number of casualties or as a percentage of road users

IIRC as a number, but don't quote me as an authoritative source.

D

Deleted member 26715

IIRC as a number, but don't quote me as an authoritative source.
If the number of cyclists is rising then unfortunately the number of casualties will increase, it would be nice to see the numbers of cyclists increase & the number of casualties decrease, but with such a vehicle centric world it's not going to happen for a long time.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If the number of cyclists is rising then unfortunately the number of casualties will increase, it would be nice to see the numbers of cyclists increase & the number of casualties decrease, but with such a vehicle centric world it's not going to happen for a long time.
There is a theory that it'll happen sooner than you think, called "safety in numbers", where there are enough people cycling that motorists start to expect them and look for them at junctions and so on, removing a lot of SMIDSYs from the statistics.

D

Deleted member 26715

There is a theory that it'll happen sooner than you think, called "safety in numbers", where there are enough people cycling that motorists start to expect them and look for them at junctions and so on, removing a lot of SMIDSYs from the statistics.
I do hope so, but I'm not sure it will happen in my lifetime, although the rise in fuel costs will have an effect at some point

Drago

Legendary Member

Indeed, but the number of registered vehicles has fallen slightly, so there are less vehicles to go around punting cyclists up the road. Add to the formula that the amount of road miles covered per average motor vehicle has fallen markedly over the last decade, particularly for private vehicles, and things don't look rosy on the splattered cyclist front.

Drago

Legendary Member
At least they've just stopped short of the Daily Mail, who would have given it the byline.."What cycling scum should do when knocked off their bike by a road tax paying Volvo driver..."

Top Bottom