bike depreciation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deaksie

I'm looking a buying a used bike for a friend of mine - seen one that looks OK in the photos but going to look at it tonight.
only thing is its a 2005 model, have looked it up on the archive on the giant website, and the seller still wants half the money he paid for it. seems a bit much to me. I saw something which suggested 40-60% in the first two years and then 10% every year thereafter, but has anyone got any other thoughts?
thanks in advance
L

frank9755

Cyclist
It's supply and demand - whatever someone will pay.

The other factor is that the prices of new bikes have gone up a lot in recent years which has pulled up the second hand market.

As a result, it's not unusual to see fashionable models which are a couple of years old go on eBay for a similar price to what they would have cost new.

Best thing is to have a look on eBay or elsewhere and see what similar models have gone for recently.

NB a couple of other things make a difference to the value of a second hand bike - time of year (obviously people pay more in summer) and where it is in the country (worth more near to a big city where more people can come and look at it).

Top Bottom