Bike Doppelganger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

I parked up my bike today and when I went back there was another bike next to it so similar that for a second I thought it was the same model. I think they made friends.

Not related, but this was the first time I've used these stands and it'll be the last. They're so close to the wall that you can't get your bike in close enough to lock up how you'd like. And because the front of my bike is heavy it swings round. No space for it to swing slightly away from me here, so my bike fell over towards me, getting mud on my skirt right before a job interview, and, worst of all, scratching my frame. Cheers idiot designers. And all of the other ones on campus are either painted green and leave green scratches on your frame, or are those stupid ones where you slot your wheel in. Bloody university.

Photo0010_001.jpg

P.S. No, I didn't pick up the fallen bike. Sorry Bike Gods.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Is the owner of your bike as cute as the basket lol ;)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I have to say that if you want to keep that bike I'd recommend getting a better lock!! That one could be cut with a pair of pliers by the looks of it. Nice that it made a new friend though. :thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have to say that if you want to keep that bike I'd recommend getting a better lock!! That one could be cut with a pair of pliers by the looks of it. Nice that it made a new friend though. :thumbsup:

I think taxing's bike is the further away one with the D lock, based on the basket.

OP
OP
T

taxing

Is the owner of your bike as cute as the basket lol ;)

That's setting the bar very very high.

My lock is Sold Secure gold rated Sharky, thankyouverymuch. Not sure why you assumed mine would be the badly locked one when there's a picture of my basket complete with yellow flower in my avatar, do I just come across as being thick? I'm a bit offended.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
That's setting the bar very very high.

My lock is Sold Secure gold rated Sharky, thankyouverymuch. Not sure why you assumed mine would be the badly locked one when there's a picture of my basket complete with yellow flower in my avatar, do I just come across as being thick? I'm a bit offended.
D'oh!! Didn't see your avatar and connect the two... just assumed your bike was nearest (well, put your own baby in the limelight!!). Apologies!:blush:

Edit - wouldn't assume someone using such a lock was thick though, more that they simply thought the lock was strong enough. No offence intended.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
But did you get the job?

Ps. The only bike I've had stolen was from Hull Uni :angry: , though from the bike sheds at the back, they used to drive up in a van a take racks at a time!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Had the same when I used to commute to the station. Was riding a GT Legato flatbar roadbike. A couple of weeks after I noticed another one in the stands. And they are not bikes you see a lot.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think I can say that there'll never be a bike identical to any of mine - they've all been built from scratch or noticably modified.

Taxing, may I vouch for Sh4rkybloke's inoffensiveness? I'm sure it wasn't meant. I've met him, after all, and knitted him a shark.

OP
OP
T

taxing

D'oh!! Didn't see your avatar and connect the two... just assumed your bike was nearest (well, put your own baby in the limelight!!). Apologies!:blush:

Edit - wouldn't assume someone using such a lock was thick though, more that they simply thought the lock was strong enough. No offence intended.

The photo wasn't staged, otherwise my baby would be in the limelight! I just left my bike there then when I came back the other was in front of it. I took the picture from a raised walkway so that I could get more of the bikes in, so that's why I didn't take it from the other side.

Offence un-taken.

OP
OP
T

taxing

But did you get the job?

Ps. The only bike I've had stolen was from Hull Uni :angry: , though from the bike sheds at the back, they used to drive up in a van a take racks at a time!

Dunno yet, will find out early next week. I don't want it as much after hearing more about it, so I'm not too bothered.

No way! I'm shocked at that, I thought Hull Uni was safe for parking bikes. None of the stands around campus now (no sheds any more) can be reached by vans, so maybe that's curbed the problem. I feel confident about leaving my bike around because I see tons of other bikes with crappy locks (see earlier discussion), so I figure if they're going to steal bikes mine will be one of the last to go.

Top Bottom