Bike Eye Mirror - any cop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chugsy

To illustrate:

picture.php

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

threefingerjoe said:
I've used a helmet-mounted mirror for many years. I like it. Now, I can't read a licence plate with it, but I can certainly see traffic well enough.

I don't wear a helmet. I suppose Tynan might be right, but you can always have a quick 'for show' shufty' - belt and braces.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Looking round is always a good idea, as it tells those following that you are thinking of doing something...

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Bandini said:
I don't wear a helmet. I suppose Tynan might be right, but you can always have a quick 'for show' shufty' - belt and braces.

Well, you can still use a "helmet mirror" by mounting it on your glasses...presuming that you wear glasses. The mirror that I'm using is the "Take-A-Look" mirror, that someone mentioned earlier. That is a great mirror...unchanged from the time they started making them in the 1960s.

As far as looking behind you...yes, I agree, that should also be done, but is virtually impossible to do on most recumbents. On my "safety bikes", I'll turn my head, when preparing to make a maneouvre, only to let others see that I'm about to do something. I don't need to do that to see, though, since I can already see if someone is there.

I agree with everything that was stated in that review of the Take-A-Look mirror, even that part about checking your mirror while walking! I've done it! Walking down the hall, or pavement, and need to move to the side, around someone, or something, and found myself glancing up to check a non-existent mirror! lol

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I'm another bentrider, so need to rely on mirrors a fair bit more than an upright. I didn't get on with helmet mounts, because I kept focussing on the glass / surround, rather than the reflection. Might just be me, of course :biggrin:

I use bar end mirrors on both my bikes now, and you do get completely used to ambiently knowing what's behind you. I still make a point of appearing to look, as it let's others know you're about to do something.

I hate riding without a mirror now. Without it you can hear the car behind, but you can't tell if its been close overtaking other cars to reach you, amber gambling, vanity plated, hanging wide ready to pass, or indicating. All of these are quite handy pointers once you know they're there.

Fiona N said:
I'm with Tynan on this - you need to regularly look behind to let the motorists know that you're aware they're there. It reminds them that you're a human being too, not just 'a cyclist' and they might just possibly take a bit more care when overtaking.

I agree fully, the mirror is and "aid" and saves time, but it should be unequivocally stated that it does not and never will replace a proper look over the shoulder.

Especially before any maneouvre as no matter how well set up there will be a blind spot.

Lone Rider

Bandini said:
What are views on mirrors in general? I like the idea of seeing behind me.

I have a mirror and find it is very useful as I can see what is behind me all the time by only glancing at it. It is much safer.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The problem i see with the one posted is that it's position is going to mean it's not going to give you a view of whats behind you, but more of an angled off shot.

Top Bottom