Bike Eye Mirror - any cop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SBH

Can't comment for anyone else, but I have one and I love it. Far easier (and safer?) to have a quick glance down to see what's on your tail than looking over your shoulder. I'd never use it for decision-making (ie: overtaking a parked car, moving across to the primary, etc), but it's useful if you want to quickly check/confirm that something bigger than you is close behind you.

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Gerry Attrick said:
Might not be very useful if carrying panniers or rack top bags.

Doh! I will have panniers on.

The bar end ones are no good, because I have butterfly bars.

C

chillyuk

I fitted a new cateye mirror onto my hybrid yeasterday, and think I will remove it tomorrow and decorate the BSO with it. The mirror wouldn't fit with my bar ends; well it would but my hands wouldn't so I have removed my bar ends. I think I prefer the ends to the mirror so they can go back on. With the cateye it would also be a pain in a puncture scenario as it would prevent me just flipping the bike over to remove the wheel.

I really like the look of the Bike Eye but use panniers so it wouldn't work well for me.

Ah well, I have managed over 50 years without a bicycle mirror, I guess a few more should be OK.

The B&M CycleStar have a band on option that can work with butterflys

Tynan

Veteran
I was taught over and over again on scooter cbts that nothing was a substitute for looking yourself when you had to and otherwise, in front was where you should be looking

HelenD123

Legendary Member
potsy said:
Anyone tried a helmet mirror? Would imagine they're a bit small/shakey

Less shaky than a bar mounted mirror I would have thought. I gave up on my mirrycle because of the vibration.

Friedel's done a good review of the take-a-look helmet-mounted mirror here.

Fiona N

Veteran
I'm with Tynan on this - you need to regularly look behind to let the motorists know that you're aware they're there. It reminds them that you're a human being too, not just 'a cyclist' and they might just possibly take a bit more care when overtaking.

Top Bottom